Hello,

I was cutting links for a biopower K when I came across this card. Can someone explain it to me?

Nadesan 2008 (Marjia is an Associate Professor of Social and Behavioral sciences at Arizona State University “Governmentality Biopower and Everday Life” pg.5)

Foucault argued that biopower involves both the life politics of population and the harnessing and disciplining of corporeal bodies. Although his later work emphasized the former expressions of biopower in order to address power’s productivity and circulation, discipline and sovereignty remain important dimensions of his approach to social anlaysis. Accordingly, it is my contention that analyses of how biopower operates must remain attuned to the systems of marginalization, exclusion, and discipline that supplement liberal technologies of the self implicated in the production of self-regulating agents. This emphasis on how biopower operates as a technology of power that both privileges and marginalizes, empowers and disciplines, sets this book apart from more optimistic formulations of biopwoer as a technology of optimization. Contemproary analyses of power and control must look beyond the disciplines and surveillance technologies of enclosed institutional spaces. Foucault (2007) argued that governmentality extends analysis beyond the inside of disciplinary insitiutions to the outside from spefiic institutional functions to dispersed, networked technologies of power that circulate across all domains of social life. Foucault’s shifted analysis to the outside because he saw historical shifts in the technologies and operations of social power. Gilles Deleuze (1992) coined the idea of “societies of control” (Deleuze, 1992, p.4) to address contemporary forms of power that circulate dynamically, producing individuals who experience themselves as internally fragmented, or dividuated, by dispersed networks (see also Hardt & Negri, 2000). Circulating networks often involve computerized strategies of surveillance, representation, and control, thereby requiring individuals to succumb to historically novel surveillance modes and disciplines while adopting new kinds of technologies of the self requiring continuous self-modulation.. Deleuze argued that market operations and logics have gained disproportionate power within contemporary societies through the iconic figure of the corporation, which encourages competition among individuals while dividing each person “within” with its imperatives for self-modulation (p.5). The corporation and financial capital circulate almost without limit, exacerbating old social divisions while also producing new forms of inclusion and exclusion. My work provides a genealogoy of the new societies of control and their attendant global market networks in order to explain the dispersion of neoliberal governmentality across social fields that older liberal governmentalities presented and constituted as distinct. Marketized neoliberal governmentalities increasingly shape the problem-solution frames and techonologies organizing conduct within state apparatuses and across everytday “private” life. Of particular interest for this project are the ways biopowers operations are transformed by market-oriented neoliberal govnernmentailiteis. Thus, this book emphasized how neoliberal market logics and technologies present particular biopolitical problematic and opportunities for state, market, and private actors while, simultaneously, shaping governmental approaches to representing and addressing these problematic. In what follows, I briefly introduce my approach to governmentality before outlining this book’s organization across chapters.

It sounds to me like Professor Nadeson is saying that the unique power of biopolitics to utterly pervade the social sphere is made possible by neoliberalism.