JulianBHS

Anyone else tired of the KC circuit being so anti-K?

Seems like the majority of local tournaments are continuing to be anti-kritik based, yet there is an abundant amount of college and alumni judges who can flow these arguments versus parents who have no idea what is going on. It's a little tiring when CEDA and all the colleges in in this area are so K orientated, as well as the national circuit as a whole is. Starting to feel like this circuit is lagging behind the rest of the nation in terms of effective debating (not the competitors faults, coaches and tournament chair faults). Then even if you have the correct conditions for a K orientated debate, half the teams on our circuit aren't prepped for it and it's just a slaughter. A competitive debate = a fun debate. 

Edited by JulianBHS
  • Upvote 2

Seems like the majority of local tournaments are continuing to be anti-kritik based, yet there is an abundant amount of college and alumni judges who can flow these arguments versus parents who have no idea what is going on. 

I have no idea what tournaments you are going to. Every tournament around here is primarily lays, a few old school stock-issue and persuasion judges, and maybe 2 or 3 college judges cool with critiques. Until judging quality gets to the point where critiques are a threat in at least 50% of rounds and judges aren't just going to vote on who spoke prettiest the quality of our districts and our area are going to stay stagnant. The arguments that get big in debate are the arguments that win. Until we get to a point where spending disads aren't winning we are not going to get past them.

Edited by Ballsohard
  • Upvote 1

I would say that the judging pool is increasing in the KC area, I have had about three times the amount of judges ok with speed and kritiks to the point where I have so far not had a tournament where I didn't have a speed round. I'd say in the next couple years (sadly past our time) K's will start becoming more and more popular to the point where teams will start prepping for them.

I would say that the judging pool is increasing in the KC area, I have had about three times the amount of judges ok with speed and kritiks to the point where I have so far not had a tournament where I didn't have a speed round. I'd say in the next couple years (sadly past our time) K's will start becoming more and more popular to the point where teams will start prepping for them.

I agree, it's just a slow process. The judging pools aren't the problem in my opinion anymore. With increasingly better pools, now I would like to see more and more teams prepping for kritikal debates.

It's unfortunate we have to wait until CEDA for K debates to be the main-line argument frames. 

And stop putting parent-judges in out-rounds imo. Save your best in the pool for the real debates. 

Edited by JulianBHS

That's how all of Missouri is. Teams over on the St. Louis side still think K's are cheating.

What if they are cheating? Ever thought about that you commie? 

Edited by RainSilves
  • Upvote 5

That's how all of Missouri is. Teams over on the St. Louis side still think K's are cheating.

I think the guys and gals down in Springfield would disagree with that first statement. 

I definitely am, I've cut quite a few k's for this topic that I will never be able to use in this circuit. Although I can agree with Solax10 on how the acceptability of them are increasing, CP's aren't even understood by most judges around here and so going for the K isn't a successful one at that unfortunately. 

Edited by apot7372

I mean, they do make it so the aff can't weigh their case.

I mean, does the aff even deserve a case?  Seems like a lot of genocide to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the guys and gals down in Springfield would disagree with that first statement. 

I debated in MO for four years, that's blatantly false. The Springfield kids I talked to never were able to run Ks in their district, and had the same issues in their district that you're isolating.

• Upvote 2

In the three trails district I got about 80-90 percent speed rounds. It would be better if teams would prep for the K.

In the three trails district I got about 80-90 percent speed rounds. It would be better if teams would prep for the K.

I think they're talking about the missouri side of Kansas City

Dropped to the layest team ever in quarters, they say they went to camp and everything- had no clue what a disad was or how to answer t.

Well also in this district, we should all know that speed, k's, and anything non traditional (even CP's too from what I've been noticing) are looked down upon and obviously lay is the majority of the way judges are, so it doesn't really matter how great you think you are unless you can really adapt to the lay judge/team. It sucks, but it's true. 

Edited by apot7372

Well also in this district, we should all know that speed, k's, and anything non traditional (even CP's too from what I've been noticing) are looked down upon and obviously lay is the majority of the way judges are, so it doesn't really matter how great you think you are unless you can really adapt to the lay judge/team. It sucks, but it's true. 

No matter how true the statement is, doesn't change the fact that it is intellectual oppression to be forced to debate at a lower quality because coaches look down upon something that the rest of the nation views as a standard. The same goes with flooding tournaments with lay judges because it's "cheaper."

Don't take my complaint the wrong way. I've been playing the KC circuit game for three years now proficiently and will be forced to do so overall. Just traditional debates get very boring, very quick. 

Edited by JulianBHS