Links for Queer Theory

I have cut a few links for my queer theory block, but I feel like I am lacking. I would appreciate if anyone could direct me towards more links, and maybe some 2nc extensions about elimination of the queer body.

• Upvote 1

anyone have any insight on the best ways to answer the

-discourse args about queerness

-trans erasurism

-quare theory general

from a queer optimist standpoint?

thnx

Well first, from a optimist standpoint make sure you don't read any answers with Edelman. Anyways

Depending on the articulation of the answers to your K, you could try and take out trans erasure and Quare with intersectionality, but this is heavily dependent on whether their cards are an indict of intersectionality themselves. Other than that, something to leverage would be the idea that because queer theory has fluid boundaries it's inclusive rather than exclusive of those groups (almost like a reverse perm). You can also make the argument that even if they win a risk of those scenarios, you have a better starting point than the the aff/squo because they need to not only win that you're exclusionary, but that the alt is net worse than heteronormativity which seems unlikely.

• Upvote 1

I have cut a few links for my queer theory block, but I feel like I am lacking. I would appreciate if anyone could direct me towards more links, and maybe some 2nc extensions about elimination of the queer body.

It really depends on in what direction the rest of your K (particularly the alt) goes. Queer theory is a lot more than just "it's like ID ptx but for queer ppl." There are a lot of branches and intersections that have tendencies to contradict. 

It really depends on in what direction the rest of your K (particularly the alt) goes. Queer theory is a lot more than just "it's like ID ptx but for queer ppl." There are a lot of branches and intersections that have tendencies to contradict. 

Sounds exactly like ID ptx

• Upvote 3

Sure, it deals with identity, but that doesn't make it similar to identity politics necessarily.

Yeah like Edelman for example pretty explicitly critiques identity politics.

Emerging from the woodwork to avoid my exams because queer theory is one of my favorite things as an academic.

In the world of debate, there are three primary variations of pure queer theory (obviously in the academic world more generally there are more takes but they usually don't get into debate because they don't have strongly argumentative/well-impacted literature, also this list excludes intersectionality theories that include queerness because to me that's not quite the same thing).

1) Queer negativity. Edelman is the biggest author here because his psychoanalytic take on the nature and "problem" of queerness is not only rhetorically powerful, but it can access literature from various schools of thought as 2NC answers. His view of queerness is that it is a negation and can only be understood as a void; a failure to understand, something that lies beyond the knowable or acceptable. Rather than try to redefine queerness into something positive and constructive, he suggests that we all embrace this view of queerness and take it to its logical end by more or less destroying heteronormative culture/society. Notably, he sees the queer as that which is opposed to the Child, i.e. people who don't have children. His primary argument (or at least the one that makes it into debate rounds most often) is that we experience a culture in which reproduction is a moral imperative and in which there is an ideal of sacrificing joys of your own experience for the sake of the next generation, which not only excludes queers from moral consideration because they don't want children but also denies them the possibility of attaining joy. Some of the questions that I think are hard for this critique to answer are: what about transgender people who can and do still choose to have their own biological children? How about bisexual, pansexual, or polysexual people? Are they not queer enough/worth defending? If we define queerness as opposition to having children, would straight people who don't want kids count despite the fact that they face relatively little stigma relative to MOGAI people?

2) Queerness as ontology. This genre of criticism understands queerness as something ambiguous, unknowable, shifting, multifaceted, non-binary, etc. and seeks to use such thinking as an alternative to the binaries at play in various elements of life. This critique shines because the link literature is the most diverse, ranging from queer ecology to a queer understanding of international relations and war. With that being said, the way in which the literature abstracts queerness away from actual MOGAI people makes me uncomfortable and is definitely a hard line of questioning for many teams to answer. This is where you most often see impact cards like Sedgwick (anti-queer = omnicide), and again the the idea that we should care about anti-queerness not for the lives of MOGAI people but for the sake of straight people too feels a bit uncomfortable. With that being said, this is what your average "queer theory" file is going to be and it's certainly a position worth researching and being prepared to discuss if nothing else.

3) Queerness as lived experience. Fundamentally, this isn't too different from other identity politics arguments but can be slightly harder to answer simply because most of the existing literature on non-traditional debate assumes arguments and discussions based on race rather than queerness.

As for your original question, open evidence and the wiki are obvious choices. In the college topic, transgender prostitution is a good but fringe affirmative that you might be able to get some good evidence from. Other than that, keywords such as "queering" will give a wide variety of results. As old fashioned as it is, I think there's something to be said for going to a university library and looking for relevant literature just because thematically related works are put in the same area, so not only is it easy to find more of what you want when you find something you're interested in but you can find literature and arguments you otherwise would never even know about. If there's a university in your area, bring a laptop and just dedicate some time to getting quality research in. I usually motivate myself by making a party of it, so I bring along debate friends and we all get excited over potential cards together and help each other decide what is and isn't worth cutting.

Happy researching!

-Alex