CapAddict

Phrasing and Persuasion

Yo- so while debate is technical, some very experienced debaters have all told me debate still is about persuasion- what are some phrases y'all use that you think are really persuasive?

Thanks,

CapAddict

There's not a list of buzzwords to include in each speech that will make you sound persuasive. Persuasion is a combination of being on the side of truth and sounding like it. Maintain your ethos by being clever, doing well on the line-by-line, explaining concepts well, and being frank with your judge.

• Upvote 5

There's not a list of buzzwords to include in each speech that will make you sound persuasive. Persuasion is a combination of being on the side of truth and sounding like it. Maintain your ethos by being clever, doing well on the line-by-line, explaining concepts well, and being frank with your judge.

this entirely. Perhaps the best single advice to give is explanation. Debaters often assume judges share assumptions or knowledge with the debaters that the judges simply don't have. The judge hasn't been reading the uniqueness lit on your Canada secession disad - you have to explain just why those Maple Leaf Lovers are so doggone angry. 

• Upvote 4

There's not a list of buzzwords to include in each speech that will make you sound persuasive. 

"Even if" 

• Upvote 4

cold cut conceded**

"but that cut was a vegetable please don't read anthro links"

• Upvote 2

TBH I'm not sure if you should use "cold-conceded"...I started saying it as a novice and now I use it way too much (a habit I'm trying to break)

you should never say "cold conceded." just say "conceded." not sure what the remark about temperature gets you

It's key to differentiate from evidence that was "hot dropped".

• Upvote 7

One thing I do "Put a star or smiley face or something next to this evidence and ask for it after round" 

• Upvote 1

One thing I do "Put a star or smiley face or something next to this evidence and ask for it after round" 

Periodically I used to actually say "flag this argument" if they dropped one of the debate death penalty arguments (e.g. an entire theory shell, or a ROB card, or ethics before the aff).

• Upvote 2

NEVER pause during your speech.

I disagree with this. I've used some other rhetorical techniques like "Gut check, do you really think that this bill not passing means nuclear war? *Wait 10 seconds here*" to great success. 

just some opinions

pausing during a speech is totally okay -- if you lose your train of thought, it's better to pause than to just spit nonsense for a minute

personally myself and everyone I know thinks saying "star this card" is a little obnoxious -- you should do other things to make sure the judge calls for it (ie give it a good extension, apply it well in multiple places on the flow, etc).

in general, HS debaters massively overuse the phrase "conceded" (let alone these other unnecessary variants). I think part of it is that people still aren't flowing very well or something, but 80% of the time the other team had an answer and you're just ignoring it, which is detrimental to you. If you want it to mean something when you say something was conceded, it pretty damn well better have been conceded. seriously.

• Upvote 1