mallorypinson

Topicality Theory--Solar Desal Aff

Hello there! I openly run solar desalination as an affirmative, and I (understandably) run into Topicality every tournament. Note, the arguments are typically not very strong (I hit interpretations centered around 'increase' and 'its' when my actor is NOAA and The Dept of Energy). I do worry about hitting modifiers of the word 'oceans', since desalination plants aren't technically submerged in the ocean. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Counter-interpretation: we can develop on top of the ocean.  The surface of the ocean is still the ocean.  The resolution doesn't say exploration and/or development under the surface of the ocean.

It's a pretty basic T violation with just as basic answers.  There's not really any good reason why the judge should exclude affs that develop or explore on the surface as long as it's the ocean.

The ocean starts at the surface of the water—

Knight ’13 (J.D. Knight, Environmental Scientist, Founder of Sea and Sky Organization, “Layers of the Ocean” http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/ocean-layers.html)

Scientists have divided the ocean into five main layers. These layers, known as "zones", extend from the surface to the most extreme depths where light can no longer penetrate. These deep zones are where some of the most bizarre and fascinating creatures in the sea can be found. As we dive deeper into these largely unexplored places, the temperature drops and the pressure increases at an astounding rate. The following diagram lists each of these zones in order of depth.

​This isn't a very good card but it's the first one I could find, and there's definitely some decent (definitely more scientific) evidence.  Check open evidence.

Edited by MartyP
  • Upvote 1

Use this interpretation:

Elisabeth Mann Borgese (Professor of Political Science at Dalhousie University), “Ocean Governance: Sustainable Development of the Seas”, United Nations University, 1994.

The word "development," in its international setting too readily associated with "economic development," refers here to the use or exploitation of a natural resource.

We meet- We're topical since we're increasing use or exploitation of the natural resources within the ocean (predominantly the water).  

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that desalination plants aren't even on the surface, they're on land and draw water in from the ocean. Am I wrong here?

That's how people ran it whenever we hit desalination, but the resolution doesn't specify in the ocean just increase the development of the earth's oceans and the definition Liondebater just posted you could easily win that Desalination develops by exploitation water which you could argue is a resource. The only problem I see is if someone tries to argue that you're plan is FX-t because you develop plants which would lead to exploiting the resources, but ever plan is FX-t to an extent so you could easily win that you aren't abusive.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. Development "in" vs development "of" seems a clear distinction. The resolution only requires the object of the development be the ocean - which it is. It's not extra-T because the ocean is the exclusive object of the development, and it's not effects T because the ocean is the direct object of the development.