Garret

How did you become a good K debater?

Hi Cross X I was wondering how did you become a good k debater, what did you do prepare, and any advice for me on being a critical debater????

• Upvote 1

Make sure to keep your tech. Going on rants, while decent for your ethos, isn't nearly as effective for winning your flows in higher divisions because people will actually respond to arguments in there and you're basically wasting breath. Winning a K flow is like winning a DA flow, just with certain special tricks.

Things to toss in the block

K is root cause of case

Alt solves case

K is prior ethical question

Util indicts

(Sometimes) Fiat not real

(Sometimes) Role playing bad

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

no ones really good at K debate... Buzzwords are just really fun to say and sometimes the judge thinks it makes sense. You become a high-tier K debater when the buzzwords you use together sound really nice

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I think the easiest answer is to just read the literature of the area you want to cover.

You grow less dependent on blocks and cards when you understand the argument well enough to explain it yourself -- and your speaker points dramatically increase when you can

• Upvote 4

I think the easiest answer is to just read the literature of the area you want to cover.

You grow less dependent on blocks and cards when you understand the argument well enough to explain it yourself -- and your speaker points dramatically increase when you can

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 200% correct

• Upvote 3

Start off simple, with a neolib or cap K. Once you get a bit better, lit, lit, and more lit. Just like lbchuck1 said, it's more important to know what you're talking about than to be super technical. 

• Upvote 1

my frosh year of college i cut a lot of security k cards and a lot of marx cards

I think those two bases will pretty much give you the tools to tackle any other subsequent literature base (and between the two of them you have a K of 100% of affs)

What would you know about speaker points?

Oh wait, top speaker ;)

• Upvote 1

just a little FYI: If the other team says Roleplaying good, then you need to roleplay as whichever philosopher your K is based on. If you're reading Foucault, then you need to get some BDSM gear on. If you're Zizek, you need to say anti-semetic things and ask for money for your new book, etc.

Okay, maybe don't do any of that. I think the best K debaters are the ones who have not only read their lit base, but who have done massive amounts of prep before hand. I read 1 off cap in college policy because I have 1000 pages of mostly highlighted cards that answer pretty much everything I've ever heard.

Then again, I hardly would call myself a "good" K debater.  

• Upvote 5

I'm pretty sure if you asked any major K team on the circuit they'll just say they smoked a ton of pot and read philosophy because they were bored. That's how you get good at the K.

• Upvote 6

I'm pretty sure if you asked any major K team on the circuit they'll just say they smoked a ton of pot and read philosophy because they were bored. That's how you get good at the K.

I'm actually in the midst of doing exactly that. I've actually smoked more weed in my first week of college than I ever did in High School. Must be why I switched from politics every round to cap. 

• Upvote 3

I'm actually in the midst of doing exactly that. I've actually smoked more weed in my first week of college than I ever did in High School. Must be why I switched from politics every round to cap. 

I bet i can guess your aff . . .

• Upvote 1

I bet i can guess your aff . . .

I do a lot of parli right now. My aff on the college topic was a Desaid erotisizing death aff but may it RIP since my partner and I decided that we were fundamentally incompatible for each other. Now I'd be reading Counterfactuals of some sort but idk. I also like really small stock affs but since College CX is a giant circle jerk of who can affirm the topic the least I don't think it'd fly very well. 

Come to think of it, the whole lack of an attempt to even kinda pretend to be topical is a lot of the reason as to why I switched to Parli. 

• Upvote 2

Just read into a philsophy you think is coool and try also to think your circut in mind as well . because like A lay judge wont understand i full out Deluze Kritik , but  those judge understand things like Ayn Rand (only known from personal expierence) , more towards a well explain Cap/Neolib /Security Kritik 

But no the literature inside and out where cards in the 2nd constructive are not as needed 

College CX is a giant circle jerk of who can affirm the topic the least 

lol'd. Is the de Sade aff on the wiki, or do you have a copy of it? I'd be interested in checking that out.