So my partner and I have started cutting a sec K, mostly from Dawkins. The only trouble we've had so far is finding specific links. We've been cutting state links (USFG is inherently religious, etc.) but I don't think very many judges would love to vote on that. Any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

Nietzsche, Schophenhauer, Bataille (Mysticism) - those K's come to mind if you want to be debating about religion 

Bataille specifically says that the Mystic, or the one who practices religion, is the evolution of the sacrificer - but Bataille sees religion as a sacrificial rite 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

Dawkins and these peeps that associate are reaallly racist, and say things that make me cringe, but they have rhetorically powerful args and if you can find articles where they condemn people who appease terrorists from the third world or basically call people soft who don't like america as a policeman of the third world you can definetly make an imperialism/colonialism good K and just read the old shaw cards as impacts. #WESTISBEST 

eg find sam harris, steven pinker, richard dawkins and bill mayer and just say liberal secularlism is best and articles where they tell the multicultralists and the left to f off 

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency
  • Upvote 1

I feel like this is incredibly non-startegic. First, the link debate is almost guaranteed to be incredibly generic, and these generic links are nonsensical. How do you plan to prove that offshore wind or OTEC are religious? Looking at advantages, it's definitely going to be an uphill battle to prove how say global warming is religiously motivated (and that's so easily link turned). You can't get coherent util/life saving links because even (non-fatalistic/nihilistic) atheists and agnostics don't want to die. Stuff like heg and the economy both have secular defenses. Generic state links not only are weak, but don't make much sense. First, while the government has made some religiously motivated decisions and policies it's both officially, and I think easily argued to be on balance secular in policy making. While it is true that most policymakers in the government are religious, they don't all share one religion so it's hard to reasonably make an argument that homogenizes that due to the variety of different practices and influences.

Next, what impacts do you plan to garner? There's no way in hell (heh) you're getting any kind of reasonable extinction scenario, and anything like wars or whatever else can be alt caused for days, reinforcing the shitty I/L story.

Third, I don't see what this gets you that any other (better) K wouldn't. Something that links to everything but is rhetorically powerful? Afro-Pess. Something that has all the impacts and links to everything? Cap. There are a lot of stronger options on the table, particularly in regards to my fourth point, which is offense.

As mentioned previously, Dawkins is going to link to a /lot/ of stuff.

• Upvote 4

I feel like this is incredibly non-startegic. First, the link debate is almost guaranteed to be incredibly generic, and these generic links are nonsensical. How do you plan to prove that offshore wind or OTEC are religious? Looking at advantages, it's definitely going to be an uphill battle to prove how say global warming is religiously motivated (and that's so easily link turned). You can't get coherent util/life saving links because even (non-fatalistic/nihilistic) atheists and agnostics don't want to die. Stuff like heg and the economy both have secular defenses. Generic state links not only are weak, but don't make much sense. First, while the government has made some religiously motivated decisions and policies it's both officially, and I think easily argued to be on balance secular in policy making. While it is true that most policymakers in the government are religious, they don't all share one religion so it's hard to reasonably make an argument that homogenizes that due to the variety of different practices and influences.

Next, what impacts do you plan to garner? There's no way in hell (heh) you're getting any kind of reasonable extinction scenario, and anything like wars or whatever else can be alt caused for days, reinforcing the shitty I/L story.

Third, I don't see what this gets you that any other (better) K wouldn't. Something that links to everything but is rhetorically powerful? Afro-Pess. Something that has all the impacts and links to everything? Cap. There are a lot of stronger options on the table, particularly in regards to my fourth point, which is offense.

As mentioned previously, Dawkins is going to link to a /lot/ of stuff.

This probably would be used against the k affs that are like "cthulu yay vote aff" or "indigenous pacific islander religion and knowledge is good vote aff" becuase you can just be like "nah but really, american liberal secularism is best"

This probably would be used against the k affs that are like "cthulu yay vote aff" or "indigenous pacific islander religion and knowledge is good vote aff" becuase you can just be like "nah but really, american liberal secularism is best"

Lovecraft is racist is a much better option and actually has a specific and detailed lit base

Afro-pessism also is almost certainly a better option, not to mention the aff is an inherent impact turn to the K and will probably be better at giving reasons their religious pedagogy is uniquely better than any generic offense from secularism. Besides, they can just be like: 'Eurocentrism/Imperialism' and...well now you're in even more trouble. 

Yeah I'm with Adam on here. I'd only prep something like this (that is to say, a "religious approaches bad" argument) if you knew you were hitting an overtly religious aff--there are a few theology affs on the college circuit, for instance--but these links sound like they'll be really bad and the internal link & impact debates are going to be cringy and incoherent. And even if it was a specifically religious affirmative you wanted to prep out, why not read religion links for cap or psychoanalysis and the like? I think the links would fit in pretty well within a Marxist or Lacanian framework, and then you wouldn't have to read bad Harris and Dawkins cards. (Seriously, forget about those guys. The "imperialism good" K mentioned above would be more relevant than you might realize...these are some morally bankrupt individuals.)

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm with Adam on here. I'd only prep something like this (that is to say, a "religious approaches bad" argument) if you knew you were hitting an overtly religious aff--there are a few theology affs on the college circuit, for instance--but these links sound like they'll be really bad and the internal link & impact debates are going to be cringy and incoherent. And even if it was a specifically religious affirmative you wanted to prep out, why not read religion links for cap or psychoanalysis and the like? I think the links would fit in pretty well within a Marxist or Lacanian framework, and then you wouldn't have to read bad Harris and Dawkins cards. (Seriously, forget about those guys. The "imperialism good" K mentioned above would be more relevant than you might realize...these are some morally bankrupt individuals.)

Surprisingly, it's not Liberty from my last check of the Wiki.

You'd be better off running a Nietzsche K, link is Religion = Slave Morality 

• Upvote 2

gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little novice? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the National Circuit, and I’ve been involved in numerous out rounds at the TOC, and I have over 300 confirmed wins. I am trained in tricky K debate and I’m the top 2A in the entire US Speech and Debate league. You are nothing to me but just another opponent. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Circuit, flow my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of coaches across the USA and your 1AC is being prepped right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your record. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can beat you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my spec file. Not only am I extensively trained in theory debate, but I have access to the entire back file collection of the Georgetown Debate Team and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the line on the ballot, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

• Upvote 8

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little novice? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the National Circuit, and I’ve been involved in numerous out rounds at the TOC, and I have over 300 confirmed wins. I am trained in tricky K debate and I’m the top 2A in the entire US Speech and Debate league. You are nothing to me but just another opponent. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Circuit, flow my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of coaches across the USA and your 1AC is being prepped right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your record. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can beat you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my spec file. Not only am I extensively trained in theory debate, but I have access to the entire back file collection of the Georgetown Debate Team and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the line on the ballot, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8gr8 memes m8 r8 8/8 no h8 just deb8. fite mi. 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool
  • Upvote 3

I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can beat you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my spec file.

Is this your 1NC?

1)Agent (Spec)

2)Author (spec)

3)Ballot (you get the idea)

4)Budget

5)Bush

Death

Discourse

Enforcement

Evidence

Exact Significance

Fiat

Funding

Ground

Harms

Impact

Implementation

Individual Microagents

Inherent Barrier/Inherency

Jurisdiction

20)Justification

Kritikal

Objective

Over-

Paradigm

Parameter

Passage

Politics

Plan

30)Qualification

Resolution

Solvency Advocate

Specification

Support

Time

Topicality

Under

Vagueness

Veto

40)Loser Specification - LSPEC (Key to reason to debate ground)

Camp Specification - CSPEC (Key to pull the case neg up on my laptop)

Speaker Point Specification - SPOSPEC (Key to know if I should stay for the award ceremony)

Currency Specification - CSPEC (Key to my euro cp ground)

People Specification - PSPEC (Key to know who won't follow the plan to take out solvency)

Religion Specification - RSPEC (Key to my allah cp and jesus DA)

Neg Strategy Specification - NSTRASPEC (Key to know how to beat the aff)

Concede Specification - CSPEC (Key to know what to run against affs to make them concede rounds)

Legal Powers Specification - LPOSPEC (Key to know what process cps there are)

Link Specification - LSPEC (Key to know what the plan links to so they can't link turn a DA)

50)Philosophy SPEC

Bill SPEC 

Carrier Spec - does not spec how the bill will get to the White House, denying solvency takeouts like "terrorists will steal plan and burn it before the prez can sign" 

Date Spec

Timeframe Spec

International opinon for plan spec

USFG = United States Faceter's Guild 

USFG = United States Federal Government 

USFG = United States Financial Group, Inc 

USFG = United States Fish and Game

60)USFG = University Student Fibers Guild

N-Spec - What type of nuclear weapons will be used in their nuclear war impacts. Key to ground over effectiveness/destructiveness of Nuke War.

Jargon-SPEC, aff must explain all debate jargon in laymen's terms before using it; key to understanding plan because I'm a novice.

2AR-SPEC, aff must speciy what they'll go for in the 2AR

Diet-SPEC, aff must specify if they're vegetarians, vegans, etc.

Boxer/Brief Spec

Gender Spec (1ac specs sex of both aff debaters)

67)Spec Spec

And of course Time Cube and Consult Ashtar (68 and 69)

Mao K makes 70.

• Upvote 2

Tindr spec - didn't spec if you swiped right. the impact is boners.

• Upvote 1