CarlSchmitt

Partnership Issues

Hey,

I'm debating with a new partner, I'm a kritikal 2N trying to make it through my second year. My partner is also a second year and he has a few issues; e.g. not reading theory/ right blocks in 2ACs, dropping essential arguments in 1NRs which fuck me over, needing me to cherry pick over his 2AC before his speech because he doesn't seem to be able to flow even with the 1NC in front of him, etc. I feel like I need to try to improve him or at least improve myself to pick up the slack. Do y'all have experience with bad partners and ways to help mitigate this problem?

Temporary Solution

You should take 2-3 minutes of prep for the 2N, and then take 2 minutes of prep looking over their 1NR and adding things. Then, you will have 3-4 minutes to prep for the 2NR. Last year, I had this problem as well. In aff debates, put together the 2AC for them, and give a stand up 1AR so they can have the rest of prep time for the 2AR. 

Permanent Solution

Have practice rounds against varsity debaters and have them wreck you. Or, if you are the A team, 1v1 practice debate your partner, and beat them really badly, This will show them how much THEY need to improve, and they'll work for it and will get it overtime. You just have to be patient. 

• Upvote 2

Hey,

I'm debating with a new partner, I'm a kritikal 2N trying to make it through my second year. My partner is also a second year and he has a few issues; e.g. not reading theory/ right blocks in 2ACs, dropping essential arguments in 1NRs which fuck me over, needing me to cherry pick over his 2AC before his speech because he doesn't seem to be able to flow even with the 1NC in front of him, etc. I feel like I need to try to improve him or at least improve myself to pick up the slack. Do y'all have experience with bad partners and ways to help mitigate this problem?

If he needs you to "cherry pick" his speech before his 2AC then he probably has it in his head that you're a better debater than him.

Stop being an asshole and help him out via writing out lessons and/or having practice debates with him in oder to DRILL it into his head on what do to do. Complaining about something never solves anything UNLESS you do DO something about it. Also please take his emotions into consideration; what if you were in his position and you were with a vastly superior debater and he wanted to drop you because you "sucked;" how do you think that would make you feel...take that into consideration. 

• Upvote 5

If he needs you to "cherry pick" his speech before his 2AC then he probably has it in his head that you're a better debater than him.

Stop being an asshole and help him out via writing out lessons and/or having practice debates with him in oder to DRILL it into his head on what do to do. Complaining about something never solves anything UNLESS you do DO something about it. Also please take his emotions into consideration; what if you were in his position and you were with a vastly superior debater and he wanted to drop you because you "sucked;" how do you think that would make you feel...take that into consideration. 

Thanks, I think that I'll definitely try doing practice debates. In regards to his emotions I haven't really thought much of them, I of course haven't been rude or explicitly said something against him but I really think I should start paying attention to that. Thanks for waking me up to that.

• Upvote 3

You could always switch to the 2AC, and go from reading the case (which I have my weaker partner do) to defending whatever args come up in the 1NC. That's a simple solution that worked for my partnership.