envygallegos

Help on Historical Materialism Alt

"It was really outdated" 

Well, marx was the one who invented the concept, but I wouldn't call the alt outdated at all... I still read it on my cap K and I think it's pretty cool.  

• Upvote 2

The idea from what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that we should historically analyze the capitalist mode of production.  I know alot of people read it this year against Middle Passage AFFs by saying Cap is root cause and stuff.  In particular, historicaly analyzing the problem of capitalism is similar or the same according to some as historically analyzing the Middle Passage.  There's somewhat of a literature base around the subject, with writers expanding on the works of Marx.  Hope this helps :D

Edited by Awesomepants3

The idea from what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that we should historically analyze the capitalist mode of production.  I know alot of people read it this year against Middle Passage AFFs by saying Cap is root cause and stuff.  In particular, historicaly analyzing the problem of capitalism is similar or the same according to some as historically analyzing the Middle Passage.  There's somewhat of a literature base around the subject, with writers expanding on the works of Marx.  Hope this helps :D

This is definitely the basic idea of what the alt is about.  If I might expand on it a little, historical materialists ask the question "who owns the means of production." They believe that everything in the world, including the formation and make-up of society, is rooted in capitalism.  By discovering who owns the means of production, one can then predict how that society will evolve and stratify itself.  An alt of historical materialism says that by analyzing the system of capitalism we can discover why our society formed in the way that it did, why it evolved to create racism, sexism, etc.  An important facet of the historical materialist viewpoint is that the question I posed above is the ONLY question there is.  In debate speak, cap is the root cause.  So when we examine other issues, such as racism, sexism, etc., without focusing on capitalism as the cause of all of these issues, we only obfuscate the cause of this oppression, which means that we can never solve for the issues posed by the aff.  Obviously, this alt is geared predominantly towards K affs, not policy affs.

• Upvote 3