bwils73

Case Overviews

Due to a certain chain of events I will be switching to 2A with a new aff at my next tournament and do not know how to write a good case overview. What should it include and how long should it be? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by bwils73

This probably depends on where you are debating; on the national circuit, you don't need one (maybe a 2 sentence impact extension at most). If you have a lay judge, a good extension of your solvency mechanism as well as how it solves your advantages works well 

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency
  • Upvote 1

This probably depends on where you are debating; on the national circuit, you don't need one (maybe a 2 sentence impact extension at most). If you have a lay judge, a good extension of your solvency mechanism as well as how it solves your advantages works well 

As far as an actual overview goes, I don't know if you necessarily need one (in the 2AC), rather you should be explaining and extending your case on the various case flows as you take out their case arguments. If the neg does a good job in the 1NC you should be a bit pressed for time as is and an overview takes away from that. As long as you do a good job explaining and making analysis on the flows themselves (for a policy aff) your time would likely be better spent elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

If youre reading a policy aff you dont really need one 

not true---they're necessary when a team drops/undercovers an advantage

For an overview, I'd do one for each adv---just quickly explain your impact and how the plan solves, do some framing (try or die is a 2A's best friend), and move on.  2ac case overviews should be 20-30 seconds MAX, and anything that's in the line by line doesn't need to be in the overview.

For an overview, I'd do one for each adv---just quickly explain your impact and how the plan solves, do some framing (try or die is a 2A's best friend), and move on.  2ac case overviews should be 20-30 seconds MAX, and anything that's in the line by line doesn't need to be in the overview.

Agreed! Even then policy aff overviews aren't nearly as robust as K aff overviews. For the most part its just a really brief summary. 

But on an occasion that they don't do much work on an advantage it makes sense 

disagree-- you could be doing impact calc/overviewy things on the DA/CP/K flow. When i said 2 sentences max, that assumes they dropped an advantage and you could do a quick extension. 

If the neg does a good job in the 1NC you should be a bit pressed for time as is and an overview takes away from that. As long as you do a good job explaining and making analysis on the flows themselves (for a policy aff) your time would likely be better spent elsewhere.

this fact makes doing an overview on case for a policy aff really hard

but i might as well clarify, I don't read a K aff so you should probably just take this with a grain of salt and consider other opinions if you read an aff that doesn't use the US

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency
  • Upvote 1

disagree-- you could be doing impact calc/overviewy things on the DA/CP/K flow. 

completely agree. impact calc is the most important part of the round. Bury it somewhere in the middle of the flow so the other team misses it, but do it clearly so the judge catches it

Just wondering what I would do for a k aff?

Depends on the kritik aff and the 1NC. The purpose of an overview is to tell a holistic story to the judge. Each part of the overview should have a specific role in achieving that purpose.

If the judge is likely unfamiliar with the underlying concepts, themes, or assumptions of the philosophy underlying your aff, an overview should explain the relationship between those concepts, themes, or assumptions and the affirmative speech act (e.g. "gender is a system of power relations, not simply an identity"; "micropolitics shape and constitute macropolitics", etc). The overview should also explain (and justify) its approach to the relationship between the affirmative speech act and the ballot ("judges have an ethical duty to resist gender subordination in academic settings, and the act of voting aff is resistance"; "judges should vote to endorse the best ethical act/intellectual strategy, and the affirmative is the best ethical act/intellectual strategy").

I find the latter to be more compelling because it doesn't require the ballot to "solve" anything (e.g. voting aff doesn't end gender subordination, but rather supports ending gender subordination). 

Edit: if you feel this is woefully incomplete to beat back a 1NC you are right. The impulse to do all the debating in an overview (e.g. perm answers, comparisons of the ROB when the neg advances an alternative ROB, theory arguments) is an impulse to be resisted. Overloading an overview makes it less likely the judge sees your clash (does your generic perm answer work with their alt?) and makes it more likely you'll drop something (did you answer all ten of the neg DAs to the perm? in the right order?).

Overviews should do no more than mere explanation of the affirmative's position, with little-to-no comparison to the negative. 

Edited by Snarf
  • Upvote 1