AmandaC

best generic ks?

why would you want to read generic k's?

that gives judges the "ugh" that means lower speaks 

its OK every round is either cap, wilderson or ptx so every round every judge 'ughs' and everyones speaker points are comparatively low 

why would you want to read generic k's?

that gives judges the "ugh" that means lower speaks

Because if it's not generic, it's usually "out there", and few people understand it, so you spend most of the round having to explain the thesis instead of actually debating the merits of the argument. With the generic arguments, the judges can at least think "Okay, this is a [insert generic argument] debate, so I already know the basic gist of what's going on".

I know that there is indeed a middle ground between the two, but it's a hard balance to strike. It's understandable why some teams gravitate towards the generic side.

Security and cap are two of the most generic K's, and they've become generic for a reason - they're usually very good when argued well.

• Upvote 5

Because if it's not generic, it's usually "out there", and few people understand it, so you spend most of the round having to explain the thesis instead of actually debating the merits of the argument. With the generic arguments, the judges can at least think "Okay, this is a [insert generic argument] debate, so I already know the basic gist of what's going on".

I know that there is indeed a middle ground between the two, but it's a hard balance to strike. It's understandable why some teams gravitate towards the generic side.

Security and cap are two of the most generic K's, and they've become generic for a reason - they're usually very good when argued well.

Run security. Can confirm.

• Upvote 4

Run Baudrillard. Can Confirm 

• Upvote 7

Run Heidegger, but not the one card kind of way. You need it to take 7:30, so the other 30 seconds is nuke war good on case

• Upvote 5

Reading a generic argument isnt necessarily bad. If you do specific analysis regarding the case judges will usually be cool with it. 

^ basically

It's fine if the thesis of the K is generic because, generally, you'll find authors that criticize politics as a whole rather than a specific ocean policy. Just have a good, specific link and manage to make good link analysis in the block. Also, have an alt that isn't booty and you should be good.

For this topic, Heidegger and Cap seem to be relevant against 99/100 straight up affs.