Hello people, I'm the 1AR this year and I'm having a little trouble doing 1ARs. I tend to always run out of time when giving a 1AR and I don't answer the NEG block sufficiently. I always tend to group args really badly and do too much individual arguments. I was wondering if any of you can give me some tips on how to give a better 1AR. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

Give rebuttal redoes to varisty members/coaches/etc. It seems like you already know what  to do, and just need help with the execution, which is what comes with practice.

Something you could do if you can't find anyone to listen and give feedback is to (after tournaments) write out a 1AR with better time allocation and then keep tweaking it until it's nearly perfect. Do this a couple times and then compare it to what you do in a round. Think of it like studying for a test. Once you get a fully prepped out version down, then you could practice making hypothetical neg blocks (and the 1AR's to respond to them) and continuously cut down the time you give yourself to use and rely more on flow work but following the same format until you're "round ready."

Edit: you'll need to record yourself for that

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 3

As a former 1AR that had almost identical problems, I definitely second everything Snarkosaurus said, rebuttal redos can be way helpful.

In terms of what to do in round, my main advice is to establish before the speech how much time you want to give to every flow, and stick to it, and have your partner check you during your speech if necessary. 

To ensure that you get the arguments on the flow you need to, also ask your 2AR what 3-4 args on every flow he/she wants to have in the 2AR, then guarantee you get those arguments before anything else on each flow. The 1AR's job is to do damage control, and get the args the 2Ar wants above all else, otherwise the 2AR sounds like all new shit. Once you get some direction from your partner what arguments exactly they want, time allocation becomes a little easier, because you don't feel as much pressure to extend every argument you've got on every flow. 

• Upvote 6