Does anyone have answers to Tuck and Yang or a good anti-blackness file with multiple authors? If so PM me and I will send a file from the college circuit.

answering Tuck and Yang is usually contingent on your aff. First you should ask yourself "do I have a pain narrative in my 1AC?" if not, your strat should be no link and basically impact turn it with evidence that is sorta about how pain narratives spur action or are key to solving." Also if you are reading an aff that uses literature from identity politics, there is a good chance that pain narratives about your group of individuals are virulent already so its non unique

If you do have pain narratives, then ask yourself, "do i need these pain narratives?" if not, take em out; if you do, you should go for impact turns link D to their most important links and the perm. Your thesis arg should be, "Yes we use pain narratives because it solves X, but we are not what there link story says, and our narratives also have points of empowerment which means we do not preclude desire based research but actively overcome pain narratives because of its rootedness in desire centered research." 

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency
  • Upvote 3

If your main author on the Affirmative is Wilderson, or if you even read him as an author in the 1AC, you shouldn't really be reading narratives as a part of your 1AC because Wilderson (as well as Oklahoma CL last year) critique the whiteness inherent in white civil societies attempt to commodify the pain narratives of the Slave for a ballot. Reading Narratives also creates the ruse of analogy (entire chapter on this in Red, White, and Black) that erroneously positions the black body within Civil Society, using the quasi-subjectivity of the Slave as a modality for their own grammar of suffering; their representing white civil society. 

From Red, White, and Black:

"This is one of several moments in Black Skin, White Masks when Fanon splits the hair between social oppression and structural suffering, making it possible to theorize the impossibility of a Black ontology (thus allowing us to meditate on how the Black suffers) without being chained to the philosophical and rhetorical demands of analogy, demands which the evidentiary register of social oppression (i.e., how many Jews died in the ovens, how many Blacks were lost in the Middle Passage) normally imposes upon such meditations. The ruse of analogy erroneously locates the Black in the world—a place where s/he has not been since the dawning of Blackness. This attempt to position the Black in the world by way of analogy is not only a mystification, and often erasure, of Blackness’s grammar of suffering (accumulation and fungibility or the status of being non-Human) but simultaneously also a provision for civil society, promising an enabling modality for Human ethical dilemmas. It is a mystification and an erasure because, whereas Masters may share the same fantasies as Slaves, and Slaves can speak as though they have the same interests as Masters, their respective grammars of suffering are irreconcilable."

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

answering Tuck and Yang is usually contingent on your aff. First you should ask yourself "do I have a pain narrative in my 1AC?" if not, your strat should be no link and basically impact turn it with evidence that is sorta about how pain narratives spur action or are key to solving." Also if you are reading an aff that uses literature from identity politics, there is a good chance that pain narratives about your group of individuals are virulent already so its non unique

If you do have pain narratives, then ask yourself, "do i need these pain narratives?" if not, take em out; if you do, you should go for impact turns link D to their most important links and the perm. Your thesis arg should be, "Yes we use pain narratives because it solves X, but we are not what there link story says, and our narratives also have points of empowerment which means we do not preclude desire based research but actively overcome pain narratives because of its rootedness in desire centered research." 

This is really, really good advice. The only thing I would add is that you should not only ask if you have a pain narrative in the 1AC, but if your 1AC could be read as desire-centered research. I think a lot of kritikal affs are a form of desire-centered research, even if parts of them document the injury of X identity category. Cross-examination can be damning on this question--push the other team on what qualifies a piece of research as "desire-centered" or "injured," or how we should judge research that incorporates both qualities. The brightline problem here is tough to sort out.

I am runnig a black fem aff and have narratives of rape within my 1AC, what should I do with them?

I am runnig a black fem aff and have narratives of rape within my 1AC, what should I do with them?

Think about them for a second.  Ask yourself: Do I need these narratives? If the answer is no, take them out.  If the answer is yes, ask yourself why.  Once you have answered why you should have your narratives in the debate, then you'll have some answers.