So this is my first time doing congress and i'm going to state in uil for texas. Does anyone have any experience or any tips. The tournament is for like 4 months i'm just wondering what to expect and what level it will be at.

• Upvote 2

What's your experience level at? Like how many times have you done congress? I'm going to state for congress too next week. The only thing I can for sure recommend is you should have a speech over 8 pieces of legislation for prelims and 8 for finals..

EDIT: I'm an idiot I didn't read the first few words of your post. Have you been doing congress at invitational tournaments?

Edited by tacoman71

My tournament is next week as well and yes I am part of a 5a school in Texas. I don't know what I was thinking in the first part I really have done like 3 tournaments the only problem is i've only seen student congress in south Texas and I have a strong feeling that my district really sucks. So I guess i'm kinda wondering what level of competition will be at state and what are somethings to expect in state.

My tournament is next week as well and yes I am part of a 5a school in Texas. I don't know what I was thinking in the first part I really have done like 3 tournaments the only problem is i've only seen student congress in south Texas and I have a strong feeling that my district really sucks. So I guess i'm kinda wondering what level of competition will be at state and what are somethings to expect in state.

That means I'm probably going to compete against you too as my school is 5A. You think your district sucks? Try debate in west texas where all the judges are old timers lol. And I've only done congress at 3 tournaments too including district. I personally haven't been to state last year but my teammate who is one of the best debaters in my region has and he didn't make finals which is saying a lot. Competition at prelims is really tough. You're obviously going to be going up against some of the best people so the only I can think that will help differentiate yourself is by trying clash as much as possible. Congress barely has any clash whatsoever and clash is what makes debate interesting for judges. That means that if you're aff try to anticipate neg arguments and present blocks in your speech before neg brings them up. Same for neg, and attack aff points.

in ks we have to do forensics (inc ld, congress, pfd) in the spring, i've done my fair share, although I absolutely hate it compared to policy. I get speeches on both sides of every bill and stand up for every side to get as many speeches in as possible.If one side seems light, that's an opportunity to seize and speak. Cross off points as other people make them, add points that people haven't made. Keeping things fresh is a key.