Level1Bulbasaur

Some troll aff cases

The only really trolly aff case I have is the gay pirates one which is pretty awesome but i'd like some more. I already have all the tfa points I need so now its time to have some fun. So if anyone has some cases that they'd like to share or any cool ideas for a case that'd be cool thanks !

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 20

I guess I should have been more politically correct then just saying gay but that's the case or a big advantage for the case. I don't see how proposing to convert America into a kind of pirate society is not trolly 

• Downvote 1

Because being polite is slavery, right. Totally cool to equate dehumanization, bondage, and suffering with "having to say please and thank you," because being a pirate is "fun."

Except for the people they killed and raped.

Anyways, how are materially disposses queer/quare bodies supposed to access this revolutionary movement? Seems like a good way to get shot and trigger institutional backlash rather than actually affect real change.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because being polite is slavery, right. Totally cool to equate dehumanization, bondage, and suffering with "having to say please and thank you," because being a pirate is "fun."

Except for the people they killed and raped.

Anyways, how are materially disposses queer/quare bodies supposed to access this revolutionary movement? Seems like a good way to get shot and trigger institutional backlash rather than actually affect real change.

1st -  I believe he was talking more about the ontology of the pirate (CPS and Notre Dame ran similar affs and both were speaking more about the ontology of the pirate rather than the actions of the pirate)

2nd - I do believe pirates were homophobic (just making assumptions based off of history books)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2nd - I do believe pirates were homophobic (just making assumptions based off of history books)

He actually does talk about the misconceptions of pirates we have and how they were actually really good.

I don't know who would run this as a legit case it drops the f bomb like 4 times in the intro and is proposing we switch over to a society where we are pirates.

Can someone explain how this is not a trolly case i'm genuinely interested now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1st -  I believe he was talking more about the ontology of the pirate (CPS and Notre Dame ran similar affs and both were speaking more about the ontology of the pirate rather than the actions of the pirate)

I don't think this is true, honestly. Pirate ships offered a place to embrace difference. There is a lot of literature around the freedom and equality that the pirate ship offered. Most of the opposite evidence only assumes pirates who were infamous for being violent, racist, exclusionary assholes.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is true, honestly. Pirate ships offered a place to embrace difference. There is a lot of literature around the freedom and equality that the pirate ship offered. Most of the opposite evidence only assumes pirates who were infamous for being violent, racist, exclusionary assholes.

Sure, the pirate ship offered freedom and equality for the pirates, but it seems hard to justify any broader claims when we have clear records of pirates keeping slaves and violently assaulting and murdering those who opposed them.  While it may be the case that there exist some instances in which pirates demonstrated some form of equality, I'm not sure why the pirates metaphor is better than one without all that baggage.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sure, the pirate ship offered freedom and equality for the pirates, but it seems hard to justify any broader claims when we have clear records of pirates keeping slaves and violently assaulting and murdering those who opposed them.  While it may be the case that there exist some instances in which pirates demonstrated some form of equality, I'm not sure why the pirates metaphor is better than one without all that baggage.

The pirates metaphor is better because it's fun to dress up as a pirate and i couldn't think of a better ocean-based metaphor. Pirates were awful in pretty much every aspect, but there was always some instance of pirates being radically good. There were pirates who freed slaves, there were disabled pirates, there were womyn pirates. Also, when pretending to be pirates, you can steel the ballot from the judge. All of these combine in a way that makes debates with pirates fun and interesting. It may not have won much, but I sure as hell had a great time.

For the radical side of pirates, try reading Gabriel Kuhn's Life Under the Jolly Roger. Just take it with a very large grain of salt.

On the topic of troll cases, they are extremely easy to write. If you're trolling, you don't need to win or have interesting discussion, so you just need a sense of humor. I would try this on for size. or maybe this.

Good luck with your trolling!