Trevelan

Knocking debaters off their high horses...help needed

I have been coaching for several years now and every once in a while I'll get a talented debater that shows promise and ends up with a cocky attitude. The problem is that once they are on the high horse, instructing them becomes almost impossible. They fight my lectures and advice and end up learning absolutely nothing. Being a former debater I have solved this in the past by putting them in their "place" during a practice round but it becomes a 50/50 shot between them correcting their attitude and quitting. My current top ranked debater now occupies a seat on a very high horse and because of this has shown no improvement at all. With this particular case it becomes even more difficult due to the debater being fragile (insecurity wise) and I have gotten the silent treatment many times so far this year and the season is barely 4 months in.

What do I do?

What are my option?

Please help...I am officially out of ideas and quite lost.

• Upvote 1

Fundamental values of competition:

• Respect your opponent.  In sports, chess, and debate, this is a key part of competition.
  • Hard work beats talent.  Yes, you may be a good speaker, but if you don't take advice, improve your case, and research, you will get beat by the "slow and steady wins the race" team and their hard work.

Also, hold a practice debate against your best varsity team.  This person will learn, and realize there is always someone smarter, better, and more eloquent than you are.  This motivates a person to work hard and do their best.  Another humbling experience would be to match him/her with a much weaker debater, and have them teach and guide the novice in rounds. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Also, hold a practice debate against your best varsity team.  This person will learn, and realize there is always someone smarter, better, and more eloquent than you are.  This motivates a person to work hard and do their best.  Another humbling experience would be to match him/her with a much weaker debater, and have them teach and guide the novice in rounds. 

From what I read, the person he's referring to is the best debater...

...maybe appeal to that person's ego? Take them to a high-competition tourney, and show him that there's still much to learn? Tell that person that he could be winning in such an atmosphere of highly-charged competition, and you want him to win... 

That might light the fire behind is rear, and knock him off his proverbial high horse. 

• Upvote 3

Let them knock themself off of their "high horse" by getting BTFO (Blown the fuck out) from going against a better team with a less shitty attitude. If this person is going to learn, it's not going to be easy for you because you're the teacher. Arrogance works like that, and the worst part about debate is that debate encourages and rewards arrogance. 

Edited by RainSilves
  • Upvote 3

Let them knock themself off of their "high horse" by getting BTFO (Blown the fuck out) from going against a better team with a less shitty attitude. If this person is going to learn, it's not going to be easy for you be the teacher. Arrogance works like that, and the worst part about debate is that debate encourages and rewards arrogance. 

How does debate reward arrogance? Arrogant teams peak early, and tend not to learn. 

I know from personal experience, I get on a "High Horse" after being successful at a tournament. My coach usually will send me to a huge TOC and that humbles me.

Not proud, just hope this helps.