reptece

No coach

Hello, this year I really have no coach at all, no help except from older team members. I was wondering how I can improve my skills in debate (i'm bad) without coaching and get really good. I don't want this to hold me back. Any advice? Ways of prepping? Practice? Etc... anything you can give me. Thank you for reading. :]

• Upvote 1

I would recommend watching rounds of good debates on the internet, having practice debates, giving redo's for older debaters, and cutting cards yourself

• Upvote 1

Depending on your situation, camp doesn't hurt. Other than that, put your nose to the grindstone and get some experience. Practice rounds against nearby programs. Speaking drills. Block cutting. REDO'S

• Upvote 1

1. Learn to speak well- IMPROMPTU SPEAKING, WRITING JOURNAL PROMPTS, and WRITING BLOCKS!

Debate against the varsity debaters/any people who are better than you.

Practice rounds at least once a week.

Be prepared- you should never lose to the same team two times in a row. :P

Collaborate with your team and analyze cases together.  Spend one session just going over other team's cases. Produce good, comprehensive briefs.

As a team, destroy all of your cases and find ways to rebuild them. You can do this by 1) Discussing them or, perhaps more fun... 2) Reading a 1AC, and having 5 people give a 1NC.  Pretty painful. :P

Cut a lot of evidence by yourself.  Learn to research quickly.

Watch outrounds and varsity debates.

Become a better cross-examiner and cross-examinee by practicing.

Learn to weigh arguments.

Learn to use time properly.

Know your affirmative case better than anyone else.

• Upvote 2

I won't do any actual work for you, but PM me if you want to discuss any ideas. Can't promise I'll be nearly as helpful as a real coach.

• Upvote 2

I highly recommend reaching out to successful former debaters (kids in college) in your area. They are usually more than willing to help you out by looking at your arguments and listening to your rebuttal redos. We've formed really good relationships with people that way.  

Learn to make up good arguments on the spot. Some of our best debaters (nats and state quals) win rounds based on the arugmuents they make that may or may not make sense or have any cards. Learn how to speak fast and clearly. Be confident! I suggest when debating novice, go paper & have lots prepared so that you can spead your papers out over multiple desks. (My aff takess four combined desks, neg takes two) it also scares your competitors when going into the round looking prepared.

Maybe the best thing for you to do, is if you're in a disclosure-friendly circuit, is after the round ask a lot of questions about the round and things you could do to get better.If you do not have a coach to interpret the ballot and help you learn from the round, I think the judge might be the best option. Ask questions like, "What argument would have been more persuasive on ___?", or "How do you evaluate ____?", "What could I have done better?". If not, you can still always ask for questions specific to speaking style and such. Also, ask judges for emails so you can email them if you have any questions, and you can always ask the judge if you catch them in the hall or something after the tournament. Take notes after every round when the judge is giving the RFD and critiquing you, then do a rebuttal redo based off of what they say you could do better.