I was wondering if anybody could give me a general explanation of the Luke K. I understand that it talks about managerialism, but is it just managing the environment, or managing anything in general. Thanks.

Luke is specifically talking about environmental managerialism as an offset of capitalism that has led to us viewing nature as a standing reserve that is there for us to simply take anything we want from, he argues that this epistemology is what drives climate problems and natural disasters in the first place. He also argues that the ethic of managing nature is unethical regardless of the outcome because it view nature as something that is underneath humanity when in reality we're always a part of it, and that's how we should see it. 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool
  • Upvote 2

Luke is specifically talking about environmental managerialism as an offset of capitalism that has led to us viewing nature as a standing reserve that is there for us to simply take anything we want from, he argues that this epistemology is what drives climate problems and natural disasters in the first place. He also argues that the ethic of managing nature is unethical regardless of the outcome because it view nature as something that is underneath humanity when in reality we're always a part of it, and that's how we should see it. 

So....a Heideggerian Marxist?

• Upvote 3

I don't understand why everyone only cuts Luke-- there are plenty of contemporary, awesome applications of the idea of biopower to the environment.

• Upvote 2