amdebate

Politics Scenarios this week?

Hi,

I need to cut a politics file for a tourney this weekend. Since midterms ends we don't have anything and im the only person cutting files. Ive seen that iran and lame duck but is there anything else or should i shoot for one of those? Thanks and if anyone has any prepped out (which I doubt) pm to trade.

thanks!!

Corporate inversions. There is momentum for blocking corporate inversions now but Obama needs pc and the GOP hates ocean policy same ol' same ol'. 

• Upvote 2

</3 no more midterms :( 

CIR is probably going to be the most unique again, seeing as Obama pushed back all attempts to get it done before the midterms for political reasons, so it only makes sense that that will probably be one of the bigger things. ISIL, obviously. Maybe something that has to do with Ebola prevention or aid? (I'm not really sure if there is any legislation on that), Iran talks have a November deadline, so there's that.

• Upvote 1

If there is an Ebola scenario, it is probably going to be that the Republicans won the midterms and so Obama needs political capital to prevent a travel ban because travel bans are bad. I don't see how this will interact with the lame duck session well from time frame perspective but whatever.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I need to cut a politics file for a tourney this weekend. Since midterms ends we don't have anything and im the only person cutting files. Ive seen that iran and lame duck but is there anything else or should i shoot for one of those? Thanks and if anyone has any prepped out (which I doubt) pm to trade.

thanks!!

UMich, Notre Dame?

Please explain this more. What would be the UQ for this?

The most likely way teams will frame it is that X policy will pass unless Obama has enough PC to prevent it, the plan drains PC, bad things happen. With some scenarios (like those predicated off of the dems winning being good if the dems end up losing the Senate) they could frame it as Obama will push for X policy to pass, but the plan drains his PC which means it won't. There are some squirrelly ways to frame some scenarios in addition to these, but that's the gist.

Please explain this more. What would be the UQ for this?

assuming republicans win (which is easy to assume), scenarios such as a CIR that focuses on ramping up border security, RAPA (bill where we basically go ham on russia), and asia pivot will be thought to be  able to pass. Obama would probably use pol cap to get CIR and the Pivot through, while using cap to stop RAPA.