Hello, I just started policy debate and the problem is my spreading is really bad. I came here from another country and started learning english at around 7 so I still carry an accent and when I spread it sounds really unclear. But a second problem is also that I keep getting stumped on words, I get what they mean and I can read it perfectly in my head but when its time to spread the cards I keep pausing and stuttering :[ This is preventing me from reading more cards and bringing in more arguments in my speeches, any tips to help me fix this? Thank you.

The best way is just reading cards start at a pace where you are clearly understood then just start picking up the pace little by little. It doesn't matter how many arguments you read if the judge can't understand them. To improve on clarity I used to do the pen drill (put a pen in your mount and read cards) I also over enunciate cards when I practice.

• Upvote 1

As Solax said something that helped me after camp a lot was slowing down; it actually made me faster as it reduced the majority of my stuttering and unclearity. You can speed up from there

• Upvote 1

I say a word--usually "watermelon"--between every word I read. For example if a card reads "biorock technology helps coral reefs" I would read it saying "biorock watermelon helps watermelon coral watermelon reefs watermelon". Obviously you can use a different word. I find that this drill helps me focus on each word as an individual and then allows me to go faster when I read without saying "watermelon" repetitively. 

• Upvote 3