Theparanoiacmachine

Georges Bataille and Transgression

What are your thoughts on Georges Bataille and his transgression? I personally have an infatuation with death, multiplicity, and affect - which makes me drawn to authors such as Bataille, Lacan, Deleuze, Spinoza, Bergson, and Nietzsche. 

Reading Bataille, I've never felt a feeling of disgust, as most writers tell me I should feel. Rather I've felt an exhilaration, I guess you could say I was experiencing Death through his writing.

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

What are your thoughts on Georges Bataille and his transgression? I personally have an infatuation with death, multiplicity, and affect - which makes me drawn to authors such as Bataille, Lacan, Deleuze, Spinoza, Bergson, and Nietzsche. 

Reading Bataille, I've never felt a feeling of disgust, as most writers tell me I should feel. Rather I've felt an exhilaration, I guess you could say I was experiencing Death through his writing.

You've never read "Story of the Eye"...

• Upvote 2

You've never read "Story of the Eye"...

I really enjoyed it. Bataille's pretty cool, I'm working on Erotism and stuff about mysticism right now, it's all really interesting.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it. Bataille's pretty cool, I'm working on Erotism and stuff about mysticism right now, it's all really interesting.

Sure, it was an interesting read and I honestly enjoyed it, but you know that at least one point you stopped and said, "dude, wtf"...

• Upvote 2

I really enjoy Bataille. I've never felt disgusted when reading anything of his, but I'm a fairly odd person to begin with, as dancon can tell you.

That being said, I really enjoy reading Bataille through a lens of semiotics. This is especially true if you read White Mythology by Derrida, and then read his Visions of Excess. In that piece specifically, besides the solar anus which becomes totally re-understood in this lens, I recommend reading "Language of Flowers" which gives one of the most interesting accounts of interpretations of meaning and metaphors I've ever read.

As far as his Eroticism stuff, it's fairly interesting as well. I just started this though, so I can't make an accurate, informed comment. That being said, the few pages I have read are pretty great. 

edit: word

Edited by RaawrCat
  • Upvote 2

I really enjoy Bataille. I've never felt disgusted when reading anything of his, but I'm a fairly odd person to begin with, as dancon can tell you.

<3 you're my favorite

As far as his Eroticism stuff, it's fairly interesting as well. I just started this though, so I can't make an accurate, informed comment. That being said, the few pages I have read are pretty great. 

Yeah I just picked up Erotism from the library myself; not sure how I'll find time for finishing it but the introduction was great