Pacifist

Imperialism/Frontier K

How is imperialism this year? Its an arg I've always wanted to run and go for, but I've never actually prepped it. I saw on open ev that frontier k is pretty much imperialism for oceans. The only thing I'm concerned about are links and relevant impacts to the aff, as the oceans seems pretty different for the lit since it usually occurred on land.

hey pacifist,

idk if it's quite what you're looking for, but i've found agamben to be a great combination of anthro and more traditional kritiks of sovereignty and imperialism. of course, it's easy if you hit an OCS aff to get links to ocean imperialism off things like russia and china reps, but agamben is slightly more nuanced and allows you to get imperialism links and impacts, with the added benefit of a kritik of anthropocentrism. there aren't any open ev files for it, but if you look at college wikis from 2013 there were a fair amount of agamben args and cards available, try searching for calarco in 8, pugliese in 13, or prosorov in 10. also a couple of the camp files particularly from michigan and wake's k of exploration affs contains some great agamben links based on the sovereign/subject distinction in the context of exploring marine habitats and the "anthropological machine." if that interests you, i'd be happy to pm you a 1nc shell that i read.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. I see what you mean. But the thing is on this topic anthro  links are much more common. here's are some cites for agamben with links to the law instead. 

====Since World War I, violence has been normalized by the globalization of the state of exception when the law justifies its own suspension, transforming itself into a killing machine, and ushering in global civil war.  Return to the legal normal authorizes such violent international aggression====

**Agamben 05**. Giorgio Agamben, famous philosopher, The State of Exception, pg. 85

It is perhaps possible at this point to look back upon the path trav-

AND

working of the machine that is leading the West toward global civil war.

====Their use of law plays into a rigged game of law which adds more illusory safeguards which can be subverted whenever the government sees fit. ====

**Krasmann 12.**  Susanne Krasmann, Professor of Sociology at the Institute for Criminological Research, University of Hamburg, "Law's knowledge: On the susceptibility and resistance of legal practices to security matters, "Theoretical Criminology 2012 16: 379 originally published online 4 June 2012, pg. 380

In the face of these developments, a new debate on how to contain governmental

AND

can be regarded as a touchstone of law's resistance to its own abrogation.

====Stop using the legal system to fix problems within the legal system—the state of exception and its disregard of its own very laws is the maximum point of tension—use the crisis of the 1ac an impulse to craft a new politics====

**Prozorov 10.** Sergei Prozorov, professor of political and economic studies at the University of Helsinki, "Why Giorgio Agamben is an optimist," Philosophy Social Criticism 2010 36: pg. 1057

The second principle of Agamben's optimism is best summed up by Ho ̈lderlin's phrase,

AND

biopolitical apparatus prepares its self-destruction by fully manifesting its own vacuity.

What's the point of this?

sorry, probably should have given context. I know charlie from camp.  :blush:

O shit, I know Charlie too. Roomed with a kid from my school.

I'll take a deeper look into agamben, the variety of anthro links seems pretty appealing