AlisonPotter

Biorock Mineral Accretion

The case is being run by a team not in my area, but from my state (we see them at a few tournaments). It deals with biorock mineral accretion on coral reefs and they mentioned something about limestone being used. From when I hit it, it was extremely well run and I haven't been able to find much negative evidence (like barely any) specifically on it. It somehow sends electrical shocks through the coral reefs (something like that) and that ends up protecting them from like all the diseases they had been exposed to

I guess I have three questions,

1)Has anybody else hit the case?

2)Could someone clarify it and/or provide important details I missed

3) What would be a good neg strat against it. 

Any insight on this specific case would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are the advantages they claim? I know off the top of my head T-Preservation ≠ Development. 

What are the advantages they claim? I know off the top of my head T-Preservation ≠ Development. 

Yeah T is always an option, but never really a thing I wanna rely on, especially with judges not familiar with policy

1)It is sorta a biod type dealio of coral reefs 2)bioprospecting

btw it is Neosho's A team. 

A team in my district is reading this aff too. Its pretty terrible: its too small scale to really do much, no USFG key warrant, and doesn't solve for much of anything. Their advantages where bio-d because they solve for corals, and then either this really sketchy econ advantage (it talked about how the USFG spent 5.3 trillion a year on sand) or Environmental leadership that never mentioned bio-rocks. The main neg strat I've found is an Overfishing Turn for bio-d (there's some lit on artificial coral reefs cause overfishing) and then just a ton of solvency indicts.

• Upvote 2

A team in my district is reading this aff too. Its pretty terrible: its too small scale to really do much, no USFG key warrant, and doesn't solve for much of anything. Their advantages where bio-d because they solve for corals, and then either this really sketchy econ advantage (it talked about how the USFG spent 5.3 trillion a year on sand) or Environmental leadership that never mentioned bio-rocks. The main neg strat I've found is an Overfishing Turn for bio-d (there's some lit on artificial coral reefs cause overfishing) and then just a ton of solvency indicts.

I will definitely look into all of the things you mentioned strat wise. Your response actually helped a lot, so thank you so much!

From what I understand of Biorock, Biorock is a different method of creating artificial reefs. Instead of dumping trash into the ocean, and hoping corals settle on that trash, Biorock aims to create artificial reefs by electrocuting the desired watery area (nouns are really not my strong suit, so "watery area" will have to do) and growing new rock for corals to settle upon. 

It's a damn horrible case. Everything Mummyhandgrenade said and more is true.

Personally, I'd hit Solvency and Topicality really hard with this case. Solax10's "Protection =/= Development" is really good, and so is T-"Substantial," because the case is really small. On Solvency, if this: 

It somehow sends electrical shocks through the coral reefs (something like that) and that ends up protecting them from like all the diseases they had been exposed to

is their impact, I'd bring into question of how exactly biorock helps, given that lots of coral diseases stem from the issue of climate change and ocean acidification. The only thing Biorock can do to help is to move coral reefs from one part of the ocean to another. This doesn't help the situation at all: the ocean is still warming, and it's still acidifying! This makes the Aff a giant waste of time. 

• Upvote 1

From what I understand of Biorock, Biorock is a different method of creating artificial reefs. Instead of dumping trash into the ocean, and hoping corals settle on that trash, Biorock aims to create artificial reefs by electrocuting the desired watery area (nouns are really not my strong suit, so "watery area" will have to do) and growing new rock for corals to settle upon. 

It's a damn horrible case. Everything Mummyhandgrenade said and more is true.

Personally, I'd hit Solvency and Topicality really hard with this case. Solax10's "Protection =/= Development" is really good, and so is T-"Substantial," because the case is really small. On Solvency, if this: 

is their impact, I'd bring into question of how exactly biorock helps, given that lots of coral diseases stem from the issue of climate change and ocean acidification. The only thing Biorock can do to help is to move coral reefs from one part of the ocean to another. This doesn't help the situation at all: the ocean is still warming, and it's still acidifying! This makes the Aff a giant waste of time. 

We did do T-Substantial because they stated that there are very few coral reefs and would most likely only be applied in Florida in CX and we ran with that. Also with a turn on their econ advantage (tourism, I don't think they mentioned sand) that would smushed into their biod thing with that unless they were to stop tourism coming to those areas, the reefs would keep getting destroyed etc, which was dropped by them.

But yeah, your solvency suggestion is really going to help if we ever hit them again. Thanks a lot for all the clarification and suggestions though, it is greatly appreciated!

Alternate Causality- people blow up coral reefs, poison reefs w/cyanide.  Coral reefs mainly die from global warming, bleaching, ocean acidification.  You aren't solving the root of the problem or attacking the virus so to speak- you're just trying to "treat the symptoms".

Also read that it only has been done to reefs 400 meters from shore because of distance and power source- that's not a lot of reefs (Solvency + Topicality Substantially).

US Federal Government key?  Only US reefs? Not any others? So *if* you manage to save the US/Florida reefs, and all the other reefs die, you're still screwed.

• Downvote 1

Biorock is skechy but i hit it at a caddo tournament and i ran

-substancial t

-reefs resiliant

-spending da

Judge voted for us by spending and reefs resiliant