Theparanoiacmachine

CP/K Question

is it possible to run a critical CP, not as in a K alternative, but more of a PIC of out of the Aff's method; such as normativity, for example

I've seen teams like USC, UC Berkeley, Bishop Guertin, etc. run CP's like this but I don't know if it's really effective - i think that I'd have to compete via internal net benefits though

For example a DnG PIC out of the State...would that be legit, or would running it as a K work better? 

Yes, it can be effective.

It really depends on what the net benefit is. First and foremost, you probably need to win that the counterplan solves case. If you don't, the aff gets to weigh that against the CP, and considering that it's a kritikal net benefit, it may be tough to sell to the judge. In that case, your only recourse for action is to do impact calculus on why your particular kritikal net benefit outweighs whatever advantages the aff has that you don't solve.

This can get difficult when your counterplan merely avoids the link to the kritikal impact. This is different from an alt that tries to claim that they actually solve all of X issue, so they generate uniqueness. The counterplan (unless you find good evidence on such issue) doesn't generate uniqueness. It merely avoids the link.

So yeah, it depends on what the internal net benefit is and how good your evidence is...like most other arguments.

• Upvote 2

I read a Zizek "Strike the Self" CP vs the Terror list aff last year where the CP text was: The USFG should add the United States to the State Sponsor of Terror list and the solvency was a bunch of these sick Zizek cards about the idea of striking ones self as the only action that can delegitimize state violence. 

I'd call that a "Kritikal" CP. I think they're possible. I think they're not super easy to find.

• Upvote 1

I read a Zizek "Strike the Self" CP vs the Terror list aff last year where the CP text was: The USFG should add the United States to the State Sponsor of Terror list and the solvency was a bunch of these sick Zizek cards about the idea of striking ones self as the only action that can delegitimize state violence. 

I'd call that a "Kritikal" CP. I think they're possible. I think they're not super easy to find.

UTNIF swagga

• Upvote 2

Engaging the State is K2 to Heg - use Heg to impact turn the CP

Also use heg to impact turn Racial/Sexual/Gender injustice, nationwide poverty, General Value to Life and if they defend able-bodied males 18-late 60's, it can impact turn actual life.

Also use heg to impact turn Racial/Sexual/Gender injustice, nationwide poverty, General Value to Life and if they defend able-bodied males 18-late 60's, it can impact turn actual life.

Georgetown EM used this strat against Oklahoma CL at the 2014 NDT Semi-Finals round - It was a strategic move since most of the judges were policy-oriented so I guess that strat is situational 

Although I do agree Heg doesn't solve shit at the macro/micro-political level 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1