thanksobama

Debating With a New Partner on a New Topic

Hello everyone, I just found out that someone dropped the debate class; and now my partner has to debate with someone else. I have to debate (ACX) with someone (who I have never debated with) who does not even know the resolution, only went to a couple of tournaments last year, and overall doesn't really understand all of the concepts of debate. I would appreciate any tips or advice on how to get someone familiar with the topic very easily and quickly, and in round advice. Thanks 

Go double 2s, have thorough 1ar blocks, run a small aff that doesn't link to much (consider not defending fiat; almost all your rounds will be framework debates and those tend to be pretty predictable), and write your partner's speeches for them, if you can.  Have the 1n take a fairly simple part of the debate that's isolated from the rest of the round (topicality, for example.  It doesn't matter if you don't go for it, and there's no need to worry about weird interactions with the rest of the debate if you do).  

• Downvote 1

???? DnG 5ever

Shhhh...I'm a 1N for the next tournament, so don't give Zach any ideas. You know he loves DnG XD

P.S. #teamcounterplanz4lyfe

Edited by Hannahkiin

make sure they have a decent understanding of the 1nr position so they can at least riff on the impact scenario for 5 min. if you're going to be double 2s, the 1ar will be the difficult speech. slim wrote a really helpful post on tooling the 1ar back in her junior year after debating with various novices for a tiny school; she was a second-year debater and double 2s when she wrote this, i was her novice partner who had essentially zero experience -- we were octafinalists at gonzaga with that haphazard arrangement, so take it as a sign that you can still win the uphill battle if you put some thought and a lot of work into it.

speaking as someone who was double 1s for several tournaments with a vastly more capable partner -- topic knowledge is something of a luxury rather than a necessity; worry more about technique and making sure your partner has a basic understanding of how argument components function than the specifics of topic knowledge. have them read through the full text of the aff and answer cx questions, then read through your 2ac blocks and practice explaining/extending whatever you're planning to go for in the 2ar... explain things to them and have them take notes, then turn the notes into 1ar blocks. redos will be helpful. reading through files will also be helpful. take some time to sit down and explain the nuances of the aff and common neg arguments to them -- above all, be really patient; it's definitely taxing doing the work of both partners and i sympathize with you, but it can also be incredibly stressful to be the partner who just isn't good enough.

best of luck!