DarumakaMC

LOST affirmative

I was looking at the LOST affirmatives put out from camps and I was wondering if it would be a viable option to run this year.

I think there is pretty solid advantage ground and it seems topical.

Thoughts and opinions on it?

Just based on the common affs I've looked at so far, LOST/UNCLOS in my opinion has one of the best advantage ground, especially when it comes to South China Sea related scenarios. My only hesitation would be the sketchy T areas since it's pretty blatantly FX T. 

It isn't topical for 2 reasons

a)its a treaty, so at best its questionably development

and more importantly

b)lost does a ton of non-ocean stuff.

LoST requires all ships from ratified countries to fly their countries flag at all times. This wrecks the US's naval capabilities via submarines and you open yourself to loss of heg pretty easy.

• Upvote 1

LoST requires all ships from ratified countries to fly their countries flag at all times. This wrecks the US's naval capabilities via submarines and you open yourself to loss of heg pretty easy.

I haven't read LoST at all - but I just opened a file about us complying with the treaty since '83. Even if we aren't complying with it the plan just says ratify...so knowing the US we'll just keep doing whatever we want.

It isn't topical for 2 reasons

a)its a treaty, so at best its questionably development

and more importantly

b)lost does a ton of non-ocean stuff.

It's FX-T then. The act of signing the treaty is probably not actually development of the earths oceans.