Ballsohard

Offshore SMRs

I really like the versatility of this aff's advantages and would like to run it but have two questions which I can't find answers to:

1) Is there a reason why a "do it on land" CP wouldn't solve?

2) How do we use the energy? Do we connect it to the grid? If so, how?

There's some evidence that offshore SMRs are better protected from earthquakes.  If you can find some evidence that earthquake triggered meltdowns are going to collapse the grid, that might give you some offense.  I'd wager you can also find evidence that the CP is politically worse because it would be built near a population center.  Worst-case, read a DA to doing it on land (something to do with the water cycling or waste storage processes, for example).  I think one of the camps put out a version of this aff; odds are good that it has some sort of answer to do it on land.

• Upvote 1

Have you looked at the V debate on floating SMRs yet?

Yeah. It seems tight and I understand SMRs. I just don't get the floating part. No clue how we would use the energy when the reactor is 3 miles off the coast.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. It seems tight and I understand SMRs. I just don't get the floating part. No clue how we would use the energy when the reactor is 3 miles off the coast.

Cables, probably buried in the sea bed.

Cables, probably buried in the sea bed.

so modular

• Upvote 4

1) Is there a reason why a "do it on land" CP wouldn't solve?

What BobbyTables Said, plus there's also probably no good NB to doing it on land (except for maybe some radiation kills Ocean Bio-d)

The "do it on land" would probably do better on timeframe. The NRC says that each major innovation takes about 10-15 years to certify for safety. Just being an SMR is an innovation - being offshore will probably make the licensing process even longer. 

While SMRs on land will be finished in 5 years,  you're probably looking at at least 15 years before you can even build OSMRs best case scenario. That, a net benefit, plus a good card saying land SMRS are safe enough probably is good enough

Edited by raynman

There's some evidence that offshore SMRs are better protected from earthquakes.  If you can find some evidence that earthquake triggered meltdowns are going to collapse the grid, that might give you some offense.  I'd wager you can also find evidence that the CP is politically worse because it would be built near a population center.  Worst-case, read a DA to doing it on land (something to do with the water cycling or waste storage processes, for example).  I think one of the camps put out a version of this aff; odds are good that it has some sort of answer to do it on land.

Counterplan: build it in the rural east coast.