mdepasquale5

Disease Impact Card

For our aff this year, my partner and I are cutting a disease advantage with disease causing extinction being the impact. Does anyone have a good disease causes extinction card and if so can u please send it to my email? The ones on this years camp files are horrible. If u have one please send it to mdepasquale5@gmail.com.

For our aff this year, my partner and I are cutting a disease advantage with disease causing extinction being the impact. Does anyone have a good disease causes extinction card and if so can u please send it to my email? The ones on this years camp files are horrible. If u have one please send it to mdepasquale5@gmail.com.

"Good" and "Disease causes extinction card" are mutually exclusive. 

• Upvote 9

Diseases becoming more wide spread. And what i mean by good disease causes extinction card is a good card that says that diseases causes extinction. Sorry for the unclear question. 

Diseases becoming more wide spread. And what i mean by good disease causes extinction card is a good card that says that diseases causes extinction. Sorry for the unclear question. 

No he understood. I think he is arguing that there is no good card that makes the claim that disease would cause extinction. Those impacts often lose to an argument based on (what I believe is) sound science - diseases with high lethality (they kill you) typically have low virulence (they don't spread easily) because the host dies before transmitting the disease. Natural selection tends to favor diseases that keep the host alive so that the disease can be transmitted.

That being said, the second result from the link SnarkosaurusRex posted above contains the card most people read as an impact to disease these days - http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/spring-2009/human-extinction-the-uncertainty-of-our-fate

The only decent disease -> extinction warrants I've found are related to genetically engineered diseases that have purposely long incubation periods and 100% lethality.

• Upvote 3

The only decent disease -> extinction warrants I've found are related to genetically engineered diseases that have purposely long incubation periods and 100% lethality.

What prevents diseases like those from arising naturally?  Also, have they actually been created, or are they just hypothetically possible?

What prevents diseases like those from arising naturally?  Also, have they actually been created, or are they just hypothetically possible?

Well like I said above, there is very little benefit for diseases to do this from an evolutionary perspective. Obviously mutations happen all the time, but its not like a single gene shift can turn the common cold into something that could wipe out the planet. The chances for a common pathogen to mutate in a way that would make it similar to these "designer diseases" is really very small. 

Because if diseases that use humans as their hosts kill all the humans then they're failing their biological imperative. It's better to be something like the common cold that leaves its hosts alive so it still has people to spread to.

A single gene mutation can cause the virus to become lethal. Massive epidemics like the plague or the outbreak of Spanish Influenza have occurred before. Small pox is another great example. I would look for disease that live in animals but are deadly to humans. Those seem to be the best if you're looking for slate wipers.

Mutating Pathogens, including degenerative agents like cancer, threaten homo sapiens

Darling 12 (David, “9 Strange Ways the World Really Might End”, Seattle's Big Blog, 3-18, http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2012/03/18/9-strange-ways-the-world-really-might-end/?fb_xd_fragment, Washington State University)//twontwon

Our body is in constant competition with a dizzying array of viruses, bacteria, and parasites, many of which treat us simply as a source of food or a vehicle for reproduction. What’s troubling is that these microbes can mutate and evolve at fantastic speed – the more so thanks to the burgeoning human population – confronting our bodies with new dangers every year. HIV, Ebola, bird flu, and antibiotic-resistant “super bugs” are just a few of the pathogenic threats to humanity that have surfaced over the past few decades. Our soaring numbers, ubiquitous international travel, and the increasing use of chemicals and biological agents without full knowledge of their consequences, have increased the risk of unstoppable pandemics arising from mutant viruses and their ilk. Bubonic plague, the Black Death, and the Spanish Flu are vivid examples from history of how microbial agents can decimate populations. But the consequences aren’t limited to a high body count. When the death toll gets high enough, it can disrupt the very fabric of society. According to U.S. government studies, if a global pandemic affecting at least half the world’s population were to strike today, health professionals wouldn’t be able to cope with the vast numbers of sick and succumbing people. The result of so many deaths would have serious implications for the infrastructure, food supply, and security of 21st century [hu]man. While an untreatable pandemic could strike suddenly and potentially bring civilization to its knees in weeks or months, degenerative diseases might do so over longer periods. The most common degenerative disease is cancer. Every second men and every third women in the western world will be diagnosed with this disease in their lifetime. Degeneration of our environment through the release of toxins and wastes, air pollution, and intake of unhealthy foods is making this problem worse. If cancer, or some other form of degenerative disease, were to become even more commonplace and strike before reproduction, or become infectious (as seen in the transmitted facial cancer of the Tasmanian Devil, a carnivorous marsupial in Australia) the very survival of our species could be threatened.