theydb8r

U overwhelms the Link

Let's say we have a midterms DA. And the uniqueness was "GOP wins now- 87% majority". (Unrealistic, I know, but stay with me here). Since, at best, the plan only causes 1 or 2 democrats to win, that barely constitutes 1%, meaning they would still have an 86% majority, so even if the plan does cause some democrats to win, it's not enough to cause the GOP to lose thus not triggering their impacts. Let me know if you need a better explanation, or if this one made sense. 

• Upvote 4

Read uniqueness that indicates that the bill is only barely passing, or really specific internal link stories (for example, a specific senator is key to the DA, and the aff is uniquely unpopular with that person).  Alternatively, have a diverse set of reasons the aff is unpopular and make the link really large.

• Upvote 4

"Uniqueness overwhelms the link" is fundamentally an assertion that the link is immaterial. In this case, it asserts the link is immaterial because the squo is overwhelmingly in one direction. Responses vary (uniqueness answers; link magnifiers; etc) but fundamentally support the assertion that the link materially changes the situation. Your responsive analysis should explain the ways in which the link materially changes the situation. 

• Upvote 1

A big thing with UQ O/W the L with PTX DAs is that since you have the block you should be able to spend much more time explaining why your link scenario is the most accurate one in the 2NC/1NR and just pile the cards on them. So first, take out their UQ claims (as mentioned above, it's 'Bill is on the Edge cards') and then pile that link work on them, and explain away their links.

I want to read a substantial T with in-round abuse being that they read a UQ overwhelms the link card since the link is so small. 

No I don't, but it's an idea to consider. It's one way that small affs can get out of politics. Also, it's one of the most legit answers to ANY DA you can possibly read. 

I want to read a substantial T with in-round abuse being that they read a UQ overwhelms the link card since the link is so small. 

No I don't, but it's an idea to consider. It's one way that small affs can get out of politics. Also, it's one of the most legit answers to ANY DA you can possibly read.

Except it's not a legit answer necessarily. Saying an election is on the edge is a far cry from the things covered by the substantial. Contextualizing it for the young'uns' topic, most Americans don't know or care what America's ocean policy outside of a few really contentious issues like offshore drilling. An aff could be substantial topically (whatever that really means) but still have little to no effect on the election.