BroMo4444

Is it considered topical?

For a research affirmative, would it be topical if scientists went aboard a US Navy carrier and used their research tools? I see how this would cause a controversy and I was curious about anyone's opinion or way to handle it.

If military technology is the sole mechanism for the development/exploration, the aff probably isn't non-military. 

• Upvote 2

If military technology is the sole mechanism for the development/exploration, the aff probably isn't non-military. 

Eh, you could win T interp saying if the military does it then its untopical but if the military isn't doing anything then its probably non-military. You could also read a definition of what military action is and prove that the plan doesn't do any of those military actions (I doubt scientist going on a navy ship is military development/exploration its not for the purpose of the military)

Eh, you could win T interp saying if the military does it then its untopical but if the military isn't doing anything then its probably non-military. You could also read a definition of what military action is and prove that the plan doesn't do any of those military actions (I doubt scientist going on a navy ship is military development/exploration its not for the purpose of the military)

I doubt there's a solvency advocate for something like that. If the military is involved, they're involved because they are going to benefit. That means any research done is probably for military tech or at best dual use tech. It makes no sense that the military would just allow research to be done using their equipment if they are not going to directly benefit.

Edited by CrypticKitten
  • Upvote 1

Well at our school debate camp we have written a counterplan for when we hit research affirmatives saying how the Navy can always do the plan faster and more efficiently. We were wondering on the part where if the scientist/researcher were to use their equipment to use, for example, a submarine for underwater research then would it be considered topical if using the Navy equipment?

For simple purposes lets say the affirmative plan was to jump off of a bridge. The CP will will do te affirmative but with the Navy because the Navy can do it faster and better. It is a CP focused on research affirmatives.

(I know I shouldn't but I'm gonna...) Is it tropical?

If the plan is to research palm trees and fruits then maybe so

• Upvote 1