Xil

The Shockingly Small DA Ground for Oceans

How are teams going to adapt (assuming it's a policy round) to the lack of sustainable DA ground on this topic? 

Due to the sheer enormity of the world's oceans, the only link-able affs would be things that have generic links (I;E - PTX/Spending) or impact-based links (I;E - Hege bad, Renewables bad). So far on Open Ev the camps have been reflecting this by mainly posting DA's only applicable to affs that were there during the sessions, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that. But I digress, unless an aff is going to directly affect the U.S on a massive scale (A plan happening in the waters surrounding the U.S), any plan happening in foreign waters for any reason besides resource extraction are going to have little to no linkable arguments.

On the bright side, any aff happening in foreign waters probably lacks a US key warrant, so you can comfortably impact turn their heg advantage and go for an international actor CP.

• Upvote 4

Maybe instead of more generic DA's we'll see teams do some actual research and do lots of solid link or specific impact scenario turns...wishful thinking in all likelihood.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Maybe instead of more generic DA's we'll see teams do some actual research and do lots of solid link or specific impact scenario turns...wishful thinking in all likelihood.

Research? Fuck that I'm gonna find a China/Russia SOI link and ride that out until January

/(Semi)Sarcasm

But in all seriousness what do you mean by specific impact turns, it's not like there's gonna be too many new impacts:

Heg/econ/soft power decline --> nuke war

We lose a single species of fish --> extinction

.5 degrees hotter --> extinction

Country loses 1/2 oz. Of water --> nuke war etc.

• Upvote 1

I'm feeling a Sharknado 2 DA

Non-unique they're already doing it

I'm feeling a Sharknado 2 DA

I've already cut a Sharknado CP, but I'd have to change the text because it's only applicable to the Latin America topic.

**Note it's not serious in any way and you should actually never run it**

I've already cut a Sharknado CP, but I'd have to change the text because it's only applicable to the Latin America topic.

**Note it's not serious in any way and you should actually run it**

FTFY

That's fun for all of the small schools forced to go to big tournaments. 

They will do SO well. Just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 

Is it actually worse than Economic Engagement? Don't you at least have spending for this topic? 

• Upvote 2

That's fun for all of the small schools forced to go to big tournaments. 

They will do SO well. Just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 

Is it actually worse than Economic Engagement? Don't you at least have spending for this topic? 

The topic has been known since January, that's plenty of time to get good answers to the common case arguments, and since this is HS there's not going to be nearly as much creativity in case writing. Generics can be saved for the marginal affs that pop up.

The topic has been known since January, that's plenty of time to get good answers to the common case arguments, and since this is HS there's not going to be nearly as much creativity in case writing. Generics can be saved for the marginal affs that pop up.

WHAT GENERICS? 

You know those tiny mexico affs that people wrote last year? NAFTA non-uq'd almost all good DA's. I know nothing about this current topic but it seems to me that those "small" affs will be able to link pretty well out of any good generic DA's. 

Hell, that's what I did. I linked out of DA's by saying "How do you think that helping Aquifers on the US-Mexico border is going to cause Nuclear War?" and won like all my rounds pulling that shit. I betcha that this current topic is going to be similar. 

"But that's what T - Substantial is for!" 

Yup, show me a truly good contextual Substantial definition. I'm glad to know about what Substantial means in the context of old insurance cases! 

Edited by RainSilves

WHAT GENERICS? 

You know those tiny mexico affs that people wrote last year? NAFTA non-uq'd almost all good DA's. I know nothing about this current topic but it seems to me that those "small" affs will be able to link pretty well out of any good generic DA's. 

Hell, that's what I did. I linked out of DA's by saying "How do you think that helping Aquifers on the US-Mexico border is going to cause Nuclear War?" and won like all my rounds pulling that shit. I betcha that this current topic is going to be similar. 

"But that's what T - Substantial is for!" 

Yup, show me a truly good contextual Substantial definition. I'm glad to know about what Substantial means in the context of old insurance cases! 

I'm not debating Oceans, I don't know what DA's the youngin's are going to run. PTX is always there.

Well, you can always try to frame T sub as abuse rather than going for some arbitrary $ amount.

Also: K as a linear disad

Also: K as a linear disad

Shitty judging as a structural DA

linear disad

I still don't fking now what this is. The last time this was posted about I put "Am I the only one here who's never heard of a Linear Disad" and got like, 7 upvotes so I assume no one else has heard of this either. 

Edited by RainSilves

I still don't fking now what this is. The last time this was posted about I put "Am I the only one here who's never heard of a Linear Disad" and got like, 7 upvotes so I assume no one else has heard of this either.

You may be thinking of my thread, back when I was deciding whether or not to do policy.

My coach knows absolutely nothing about kritiks and modern debate, so when I explained a K to him he told me it was just a 'link-disad'.

DA with a linear impact rather than a terminal impact

terminal impacts require a particular, unique threshold to be crossed for the impact to be triggered, and are yes/no questions - ie is there nuclear war or isn't there?

linear impacts are typically ongoing and more structural - like deaths from cancer or poverty - and are like sliding-scale, rather than yes/no. for example, does the aff increase deaths from air pollution?

DA with a linear impact rather than a terminal impact

terminal impacts require a particular, unique threshold to be crossed for the impact to be triggered, and are yes/no questions - ie is there nuclear war or isn't there?

linear impacts are typically ongoing and more structural - like deaths from cancer or poverty - and are like sliding-scale, rather than yes/no. for example, does the aff increase deaths from air pollution?

In the sense of running a K as a linear DA, the neolib k from last year makes a decent choice

Link: The plan increases neoliberalism in X country

-Neoliberalism is bad because (impact)

-Impact D and and Calc to show why their extinction impacts aren't real, and favor probability--when the US brought neoliberalism into X country, it caused X,Y,Z

• Upvote 1

You may be thinking of my thread, back when I was deciding whether or not to do policy.

My coach knows absolutely nothing about kritiks and modern debate, so when I explained a K to him he told me it was just a 'link-disad'.

Actually you're right. I was thinking of the Link-Disad.

I always thought linear DAs were DAs w/o uq.

I.e. Plan increases cap, cap sucks.

Or for the more policy oriented, plan takes away China economic influence, that sucks. Usually for the latter you just get around the uq. question w/ a CP

Or for the more policy oriented, plan takes away China economic influence, that sucks. Usually for the latter you just get around the uq. question w/ a CP

This is how I was always taught it too, but I like the sliding scale explanation the best for Kish Linear DAs, and policy Linear DAs is best framed as a Net Benefit to a CP, because then people don't ask "but WTF about UQ?!" as much with net benefits.

• Upvote 1

This is how I was always taught it too, but I like the sliding scale explanation the best for Kish Linear DAs, and policy Linear DAs is best framed as a Net Benefit to a CP, because then people don't ask "but WTF about UQ?!" as much with net benefits.

True, but as a relatively slow spreader who also happens to be a 2n, as opposed to a uniqueness wall in the block, i just have my 1n read the :10 CP text that covers my ass if the judge doesn't buy my uq args and if we ran it as a normal DA 

Edited by Payton

Linear disads might not have impact uniqueness, but they do/should have link uniqueness. 

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't say that Neg loses DA ground, almost any case turn can be rewritten to be a DA and there are already DA shells out there for dealing in almost any zone of the ocean, (Hadal Trenches, EEZ, Shores, one for each ocean etc.) Its basically the same ground as every year. 

But I guess you could just run the K all year and forget the DAs.  :flower: