The Watcher

2014 Topic Selection Meeting

From the 2014 Topic Selection meeting, the oceans topic has officially been ratified as worded when chosen in January.

The eight topic papers being presented at this year's meeting are as follows:

1) Environment/Pollution

2) Civil Rights

3) Income Inequality

4) Criminal Justice

5) Immigration

6) Privacy

7) Native Americans

8) Secondary Education

We will now be moving into the Marshall subcommittee work sessions, which will come up with the wordings that will be presented to the Wording Committee on Saturday morning and early afternoon.

Group 1 -- Environment/Pollution and Income Inequality

Group 2 -- Native Americans and Secondary Education

Group 3 -- Privacy and Civil Rights

Group 4 -- Justice Reform and Immigration

More to follow.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

From the 2014 Topic Selection meeting, the oceans topic has officially been ratified as worded when chosen in January.

The eight topic papers being presented at this year's meeting are as follows:

1) Environment/Pollution

2) Civil Rights

3) Income Inequality

4) Criminal Justice

5) Immigration

6) Privacy

7) Native Americans

8) Secondary Education

We will now be moving into the Marshall subcommittee work sessions, which will come up with the wordings that will be presented to the Wording Committee on Saturday morning and early afternoon.

Group 1 -- Environment/Pollution and Income Inequality

Group 2 -- Native Americans and Secondary Education

Group 3 -- Privacy and Civil Rights

Group 4 -- Justice Reform and Immigration

More to follow.....

I don't know if the three bolded topics would produce good debate at the high school level, for various reasons. As someone who will probably end up judging, I'd like to see either environment or immigration as the topic for next season.

For now the wordings are:
1. Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a policy to substantially reduce land pollution within its borders.

2. Resolved: The United States federal government should eliminate one or more policies infringing on rights granted by the First, Fifth, and/or Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.

3. Resolved: The United States federal government should (establish a policy to) substantially decrease income inequality in the United States.

4. Resolved: The United States federal government should significantly reform its criminal justice procedure in one or more of the following areas: sentencing guidelines, domestic drone surveillance, drug scheduling and/or the role of grand juries.

5. Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its legal protection of economic migrants in the United States.

6. Resolved: The United States federal government should eliminate one or more of its domestic surveillance programs.
 OR 
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its violations of privacy in the United States in the areas of surveillance and/or crime prevention.

7. Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its powers within Indian Country.

8.Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a policy substantially improving the college and career readiness of secondary education students in the United States.

We will be discussing these all day tomorrow before voting on them on Sunday to decide which 5 to send to the states.  Feel free to comment on potential wording ideas, or specific concerns with topics. 

• Upvote 2

7. Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its powers within Indian Country.

If this resolution seriously says this, I guarantee that the following 3 affirmatives will be present next year: 1)one that actually mandates the USFG to "substantially" decreases it's powers within Indian Country, as in land reservations for Native Americans and 2) affirmatives that advocate for the some form of demilitarization of the Indian country over in Asia and 3) a K of the resolution that talks about the negative connotations that accompany the labeling of Native Americans as "Indians" or something along those lines

You should seriously change that part of Native American resolution text, unless I'm the one that is confusing things. 

It should be; Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its powers within Native American Country.

• Upvote 2

I think the only area I don't want to see is environment (just because 2 topics about the same thing looks eh, otherwise I really like the bunch.

You should seriously change that part of Native American resolution text, unless I'm the one that is confusing things. 

It should be; Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its powers within Native American Country.

I wasn't in the particular subcommittee for this resolution.  But "Indian Country" is the legal term.  My first reaction was the same as yours, but after going back to the college topic, which used the same language, and looking at US Code, I'm not as concerned as I was.  

• Upvote 1

Here are the wordings as they stand now. We are about to hold a straw vote where some topics can theoretically be eliminated, but I bet none will. We can amend things tomorrow morning before our final vote.

Environment/Pollution

Resolved: The United States federal government should increase its environmental regulation to substantially reduce land pollution.

Civil Rights

Resolved: The United States federal government should eliminate one or more policies infringing on rights granted by the First and/or Fifth Amendments to the United States Constitution.

Income Inequality

Resolved: the United States federal government should increase progressive taxation, regulation of predatory lending or minimum wage to substantially decrease income inequality in the United States.

Criminal Justice

Resolved: The United States federal government should significantly reform its criminal procedure in the areas of grand juries, plea bargaining, admissibility of evidence, and/or sentencing.

Immigration

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its legal protection of economic migrants in the United States.

Surveillance

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially curtail its domestic surveillance.

Native Americans

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its authority within Indian Country.

Secondary Education

Resolved: The United States federal government should reform education policy to substantially improve the college and career readiness of secondary student in the United States.

Edited by normsy

New income inequality: time to break out the cap Ks as your generic arg every single round

Sounds like every year to me. Except this one gets you even more Cap on Cap debates. Woo!

From the Sunday morning session, there were two amendments made on the Income Inequality topic.  That resolution now reads "Resolved: The United States federal government should increase progressive taxation, the federal minimum wage or regulation of predatory lending to substantially decrease income inequality in the United States."

On the criminal justice topic, there has been discussion of how cases related to military courts would come into the resolution as worded.  The new resolution is "Resolved: The United States federal government should significantly reform its non-military criminal procedure in the area of grand juries, plea bargaining, admissibility of evidence and/or sentencing."

We are about to go to the vote, so stay tuned......

21 voting delegates were present for the rounds of voting -- 18 states plus the NCFL, NDCA, and NSDA.

After the first round of voting, the environment resolution was eliminated.

The second round of voting resulted in the civil rights resolution being eliminated.

The final round of voting resulted in the secondary education resolution being eliminated.

Thus, the five resolutions being submitted to the states are as follows:

1)  Income Inequality

Resolved: the United States federal government should increase progressive taxation, the federal minimum wage, or regulation of predatory lending to substantially decrease income inequality in the United States.

2)  Criminal Justice

Resolved: The United States federal government should significantly reform its non-military criminal procedure in the areas of grand juries, plea bargaining, admissibility of evidence, and/or sentencing.

3)  Immigration

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its legal protection of economic migrants in the United States.

4)  Surveillance

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially curtail its domestic surveillance.

5)  Native Americans

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its authority within Indian Country.

• Upvote 4