fahrenba

Open Evidence Downloader

On a related not, someone had requested a version of the program that also works for Open Case List.  I made two programs, one for High School and one for College.  You have to select the school that you want to download evidence / cites from.  I'm trying to minimize the number of times I read information from the website through cache files.  The programs should remember which schools you had selected before.

Let me know of any bugs you encounter (I'm sure they exist).

High School Version: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

College Version: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

• Upvote 7

Now, can you get it to automatically sort the files into folders based on what they're tagged as on OpenEv (i.e. Affirmatives, Case Negs, etc) because that would be pretty awesome.

Ask and you shall received!  Open Evidence Downloader, now auto separating files into folders:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxxolsFkwnDqOFZjSXgySVd4Mjg/edit?usp=sharing

If you already downloaded all the files, it will end up redownloading the files again (sorry).

I think this one downloads the HSPolicy Wiki, or is that just me? :P 

• Upvote 1

Not to be a code grammar nazi, but you misspelled readCahcedHTML in your html reader class haha.

Just updated the Open Ev Downloader so you can choose between downloading to folders or not (there is a checkbox).  I also fixed a bug (I believe) that was causing all files to redownload each time you run the program (accidentally introduced in the last version because I used to only scan the evidence folder for already downloaded, not subfolders).

Same link, new program: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

• Upvote 2

I hate to ask a stupid question but is there a Mac version

It's Java so it should work on Mac (on recent versions OS X will have to do a download first)

Edited by fread2281

Another software tool that's useful after you download the OpenEv files is Doublekiller

It's a duplicate file finder that works quickly and efficiently, and can reveal some things about the OpenEv files, 

for example, the Politics DA HTF From Michigan Classic is literally the same file as the Politics DA from Cal

There are other duplicates as well, usually from the same camp.

for example Michigan 7 - the 'Icebreakers Aff and Neg' file is identical to the 'Renewables Low' file, and certainly isn't an Icebreakers Aff/Neg

Edited by TejaVepa
  • Upvote 2

Yes, the one in this thread. I can confirm (running Mavericks)

The one on this thread is a Jar file. Wont even open.

Ummm...then how was I able to open ran run it in OS X mavericks? Are all your drivers up to date?

Could you provide some more information about your set up?  For example:

- what version of Mac OS X are you running?

- when you go into the System Preferences, do you have a Java icon at the bottom?  If not, try following these directions for installing Java and try running the jar file again.

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to get the source code for this? I have a few other sites that this tool would be really helpful for.

Is it possible to get the source code for this? I have a few other sites that this tool would be really helpful for.

It's a JAR file...

Decompile it, brah.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1