johnnyfootball

morning tournament habits

After only getting 3 to no hours of sleep before a tournament due to poltics updates and what not I often times struggle with being alert for round one and sometimes the whole day. I have heard of debaters that take Adderall and even snort cocain before rounds, is this an effective strategy that users on here practice? or what are some other habits?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cut my politics updates on Thursday instead, so I can get at least six hours of sleep.

If, on the off chance there's a Friday morning tournament then stop staying up so late and work Wednesday and Thursday instead.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

prepping sometime other than the night before would seem to solve all those problems. though if you're staying up that late doing ptx updates i'm not sure why it takes you that long.

next time you hear of someone doing coke at a debate tournament contact Officer Tom, i'm sure he'll take the necessary legal steps to eliminate the problem. 

Or just join in.

• Upvote 4

I'm confused...did you actually think someone was going to fess up to doing coke on a public forum and tell you how it helped them in debate rounds? 

• Upvote 6

Personally, I'm far more alert and stuff whenever I've had very little sleep - it's almost as if my third or fourth 'wind' from the night before kind of carries through my little sleep to the first few rounds. Because of that and the fact that I'm just naturally a night person,  :flower: I always kinda suck during the midday. Another reason why I probably have a midday slump is that whatever I eat at tournaments makes me sick, so rounds that are close to lunch are a bit more rough.

My biggest worry about taking things like what  you mentioned would be getting ahead of myself during speeches or whatever. It seems like to me it'd be really easy to sort of skip certain parts of a  syllogism if you were on something... but this is coming from someone who drinks highly caffeinated beverages to help him sleep... so I dunno.

EDIT:

*sees pigasus' 15 upvotes - gets excited*

*sees other posts getting fewer and fewer upvotes - gets nervous oh please oh please*

*sees one -  :sob: *

Edited by Bdawgsupreme
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm confused...did you actually think someone was going to fess up to doing coke on a public forum and tell you how it helped them in debate rounds?

yeah, it's a really common thing from what I've heard since it makes u really alert I also was wondering about adderall which is safer .I've never done coke so I was wondering if it helps people in rounds. Business professionals do it before meetings or to get over a hangover.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yeah, it's a really common thing from what I've heard since it makes u really alert I also was wondering about adderall which is safer .I've never done coke so I was wondering if it helps people in rounds. Business professionals do it before meetings or to get over a hangover.

Did you just watch The Wolf of Wall Street or something? Who actually does this in a normal business setting?

• Upvote 8

Did you just watch The Wolf of Wall Street or something? Who actually does this in a normal business setting?

nah, jordan belfort wasn't a coke head he in real life did mainly ludes and a little coke, but wall street traders are particulary known for coke use since its the "rich mans drug" and they work incredibly stressful jobs. But its common in many businesses thats why its so profitable. Poor people cant really afford it so who do you think buys it

• Downvote 4

i may have come to the wrong forum for this, it appears most debaters are straightedges. I can never get enough sleep a night so i was wondering if anyone else in this situation had tried using something to help

• Downvote 3

Don't do coke. It's really not common in business any more since the 80s, it's too expensive, and it's generally just terrible for you. Most high-strung adults stick to caffeine. If you don't like coffee, it comes in pill or gum form, but don't overdo it.

• Upvote 1

also, like 20 minutes of exercise 4-5 days a week will make you sleep way better, and in conjunction with good dietary habits will give you way more energy during the day. certainly this is more realistic for some than others (ie differently-abled people for whom physical exertion is more difficult) but trust me, the sooner you start doing basic stuff like a quick jog or some pushups and stop hitting the fast food/soda, the better you'll feel.

i've heard there's some research that suggests, roughly that bad foods like those from fast food chains can inhibit your brain development or something, so in a way, this will also make you literally better at debate.

btw protip: if you grab coffee in the morning of a debate tournament, stop drinking it 15-20 minutes before you're going to be speaking, and drink lots of water. coffee will dry your mouth out and hurt your clarity.

drinking lots of water and eating healthy food during tournaments in general is a really good idea. pack a banana or two.

Edited by Needs More Consult Japan
  • Upvote 2

by the way chocalte milk is the best way to get cafineee in when getting little sleep - 

seceretly that stuff has cafinee in it - 

i've been is the situtation before bro - 

Red Bull and Monster seems like the way to go -but .,,, 

Only go their if it  was a late night - 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm seriously starting to think we've all been trolled. The likelihood of someone seriously proposing snorting coke to help them in debate seems...dubious at best.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

As a public service announcement, you shouldn't take Adderall unless you have a legitimate prescription and ate taking it as directed by a licensed doctor. Any quick search will show you the dangers of using Adderall. Note that I said use, not abuse. Using Adderall in any way other than as directed is an abuse of it and is very dangerous to your health.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I do know about a debater that was removed from school due to an Adderall abuse problem.

He lost his scholership to Yale.

Don't abuse Adderall.

That said, I have been prescribed Ritalin at a as needed baisis, so I do take Ritalin during tournaments, but I bring a doctor's note just in case.

If you need help being awake, get more sleep. Take a sleep aid the night before and go to sleep at a decent hour.

• Upvote 2

Or just join in.

but that IS the elimination of the problem!

on a side note milk is also terrible for clarity.  I mean heck even some choirs aren't allowed to drink milk on the day of a concert.

• Upvote 1

DO LINES ALL DAY ERRYDAY!!!!!!

IM CHARLIE SHEEN BITCH!!!

/Sarcasm

In all seriousness, I wouldn't advise doing either of these drugs but im not you, so, if you decide to do these drugs in order to stay awake at tournaments, go on http://www.erowid.org at least this way you'll have done your best to reduce potential harms

• Upvote 2

I think I might try coke just once, I just asked one of my teammates and he said that he was able to spread faster and was really alert. Adderall I don't think is to dangerous though like people take it before sats and my partner used it before rounds. Caffeine just never did it for me I also sorta have insomnia

• Downvote 6

I think I might try coke just once, I just asked one of my teammates and he said that he was able to spread faster and was really alert. Adderall I don't think is to dangerous though like people take it before sats and my partner used it before rounds. Caffeine just never did it for me I also sorta have insomnia

Le master cross-x trole at work - a well-played, subtle job at it too, good job.

PSA: coking up + spreading = heart attack, kids. Not even once!

• Upvote 5