Hey I'm not really into performance nor do I really pursue it as a very competitive debate experience, but I do want to try and have the experience of running one even if its just in a mock.

My main motivation is to run this against a couple of ppl on our squad that don't really flow and get lazy when cutting evidence, especially before state tournaments. I want to freak them out and scare them straight while having a little fun in the process.

My idea for the performance would be that I would either create large cards in big text that would say what the card tags and authors are, or learn sign language or something in order to show how our team is making debate accessible to everyone. Feedback?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

One simple way to do this, without making an entire aff for it, could be to flash your stuff in high contrast colors that color-blind people and people with poor sight could read, don't spread, ask if everyone can hear/read fine, etc. Having an ableism advantage or something with your aff is a plus (is that even possible on this topic? I've not looked at the high school one at all). When they flash you their speech, spread, etc., K the crap out of everything they did, from spreading (there's a spreading K freely available on cross-x if you search for it), to using highlighting colors that colorblind people couldn't see - just critique them for not actively doing everything in their power to make debate an accessible space.

Rude awakening & preparation for teams that might throw them off big-time, especially if y'all go to national circuit tournaments or if kritikal & identity arguments are common in your area. Idk, just a thought I had.

• Upvote 7

Hey I'm not really into performance nor do I really pursue it as a very competitive debate experience, but I do want to try and have the experience of running one even if its just in a mock.

My main motivation is to run this against a couple of ppl on our squad that don't really flow and get lazy when cutting evidence, especially before state tournaments. I want to freak them out and scare them straight while having a little fun in the process.

My idea for the performance would be that I would either create large cards in big text that would say what the card tags and authors are, or learn sign language or something in order to show how our team is making debate accessible to everyone. Feedback?

The problem I have with the performance idea is that it's always going to be ableist in itself, I.e. you use sign language, what about the blind, let's say you read cards out loud, what about the deaf (if you decide to go only sign language, what about people who don't understand it), etc.. As for Dancons idea, I don't really think it's fair to K a team for using colors colorblind people can't see, that's almost like making people feel bad because they aren't colorblind.

I don't think a performance is the way to go with ableism just because somebody will inevitably be incapable of doing the performance

• Upvote 2

The problem I have with the performance idea is that it's always going to be ableist in itself, I.e. you use sign language, what about the blind, let's say you read cards out loud, what about the deaf (if you decide to go only sign language, what about people who don't understand it), etc.. As for Dancons idea, I don't really think it's fair to K a team for using colors colorblind people can't see, that's almost like making people feel bad because they aren't colorblind.

I don't think a performance is the way to go with ableism just because somebody will inevitably be incapable of doing the performance

Replace the disability language with race and you got a fw argument :/

I think it's a bad idea because commodification

• Upvote 2

Replace the disability language with race and you got a fw argument :/

I think it's a bad idea because commodification

According to Wilderson, only antiblackness matters so it doesn't matter others are excluded

I should really put a /sarcasm at the end of these

Edited by Payton
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

According to Wilderson, only antiblackness matters so it doesn't matter others are excluded

but that's why Wilderson is gross...

• Upvote 5

One simple way to do this, without making an entire aff for it, could be to flash your stuff in high contrast colors that color-blind people and people with poor sight could read, don't spread, ask if everyone can hear/read fine, etc. Having an ableism advantage or something with your aff is a plus (is that even possible on this topic? I've not looked at the high school one at all). When they flash you their speech, spread, etc., K the crap out of everything they did, from spreading (there's a spreading K freely available on cross-x if you search for it), to using highlighting colors that colorblind people couldn't see - just critique them for not actively doing everything in their power to make debate an accessible space.

Rude awakening & preparation for teams that might throw them off big-time, especially if y'all go to national circuit tournaments or if kritikal & identity arguments are common in your area. Idk, just a thought I had.

I'm curious on a scientific detail here--are there forms of colorblindness where a person can't distinguish yellow (the standard highlighting color) from white or black? It's not like there are a lot of debate sadists out there formatting their evidence as green highlighting of red text.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious on a scientific detail here--are there forms of colorblindness where a person can't distinguish yellow (the standard highlighting color) from white or black? It's not like there are a lot of debate sadists out there formatting their evidence as green highlighting of red text.

Actually I think you're right, but I don't know much about different kinds of colorblindness. People that make files highlighting black text with red make my eyes very sad though, and I've got pretty good vision. And I keep seeing LD files where they make the un-underlined parts gray! It's ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious on a scientific detail here--are there forms of colorblindness where a person can't distinguish yellow (the standard highlighting color) from white or black?

I'm not going to lie, on first read I thought this was a discussion of Wilderson's approach to yellow bodies in the black/white binary and colorblindness conversation.

• Upvote 3

Actually I think you're right, but I don't know much about different kinds of colorblindness. People that make files highlighting black text with red make my eyes very sad though, and I've got pretty good vision. And I keep seeing LD files where they make the un-underlined parts gray! It's ridiculous.

I don't think I'd need any high theory to consider voting down, or at least docking the speaker points of, debaters who use red highlighting :)

• Upvote 1

but that's why Wilderson is gross...

Gross? I don't know, reductionist maybe, but gross eh. I don't particularly care to much for Wilderson either, as there are other antiblackness authors that are much less hateful

Gross? I don't know, reductionist maybe, but gross eh. I don't particularly care to much for Wilderson either, as there are other antiblackness authors that are much less hateful

you'll call Wilderson "hateful" but not "gross"?

• Upvote 4

Yeah. There are lots of hateful things that are fluffy and cute.

I don't know that I've met one of those...lol

• Upvote 1

I should really put a /sarcasm at the end of these

Accdental downvote sorry lol 

Accdental downvote sorry lol

I cried for ten hours after that downvote, nah but it's cool

• Upvote 3

I cried for ten hours after that downvote, nah but it's cool

i felt bad for downvoting you so I'm upvoting that.

• Upvote 2

you'll call Wilderson "hateful" but not "gross"?

I didn't really make the best word choice but I do appreciate some of his theories on the black subject position in society, granted I may be biased considering some of my own social experiences. You know what, I'll go ahead say Wilderson probably qualifies as gross even though it's not the first word I think of to describe even the more hateful aspects of his work.

I didn't really make the best word choice but I do appreciate some of his theories on the black subject position in society, granted I may be biased considering some of my own social experiences. You know what, I'll go ahead say Wilderson probably qualifies as gross even though it's not the first word I think of to describe even the more hateful aspects of his work.

Out of curiosity, specifically which parts of Wilderson's work would you isolate as hateful?

Well, his (and sextons') views on multiculturalism are horrifying saying that it's used in order to erase blackness is essentially a call for segregation.

The idea that all suffering is a result of antiblackness is not only ahistorical but reductionist of the oppression of others'.

I'm on my phone now so I can't type out everything, but these are my main complaints

I encourage anyone who has this sort of idea to do one thing. Stop it. These types of affs and ways are just ablebody privilege asserting itself and using that privilege to try and be better than others. This discussion of how ableism is framed is damaging to the fragile disability coalition in the debate community that is trying to assert itself as being important. The problem is, people still see ableism as a joke and don't realize that it is very damaging to make jokes out of ableist actions. There are a lot of people that need different things for accessibility but they shouldn't be used to try to get the better of people or whatever. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

How do you get from "reading disability k affs" to privilege? Buzzwords aren't argument and that post disserves the college disabled community.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1