What is the best way to structure a K aff? I've seen many, but I'm not sure how to fully create one from scratch for myself. I'm unsure of what ideology/philosophy to use, or even how to pick what to use.

Any help in how to make one would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've ran Ks before, so I'm familiar with how the idea of a K works. 

Okay, first do you want to read

Weed

prostitution

Online gambling

Organ sales

Or physician assisted suicide?

Or do you not care about being topical?

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

I'm trying for prostitution as my preferable topic 

But I would easily go for not being topical as well.

I think it's difficult/impossible to explain how to make a K aff, I think it just has to happen and then after a few versions are made you just know.

That's where my problem lies. I'm not sure how to go about making one though, so I don't know where to start with my research or anything.

A K aff is just like any other aff. You usually have some sort of problem that you are trying to solve. We cant really help you that much with where to start. I would recommend picking 1 philosopher that interests you and reading this persons work and this persons influences and predecessors. You'll only understand how to structure the aff after you research the philosophies. 

There isnt one set in stone structure to write a K aff. 

• Upvote 3

I'm trying for prostitution as my preferable topic 

But I would easily go for not being topical as well.

Okay, for prostitution, there's obviously fem k lit you could run as a k aff, have you looked into the issue at all from a lit standpoint?

Okay, for prostitution, there's obviously fem k lit you could run as a k aff, have you looked into the issue at all from a lit standpoint?

My problem with that is that prostitution isn't only women. I looked into fem, and I could definitely use some of it, but I want to worry about it as a whole so I don't bite into arguments about men in prostitution and how they matter too. That's why any evidence I have so far uses the term sex worker or anything that doesn't distinguish gender. I do like the idea of fem though. I have a decent amount of evidence on prostitution, just not necessarily for a k standpoint. The closest I have to that is empowerment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My problem with that is that prostitution isn't only women. I looked into fem, and I could definitely use some of it, but I want to worry about it as a whole so I don't bite into arguments about men in prostitution and how they matter too. That's why any evidence I have so far uses the term sex worker or anything that doesn't distinguish gender. I do like the idea of fem though. I have a decent amount of evidence on prostitution, just not necessarily for a k standpoint. The closest I have to that is empowerment.

Yes, it affects all genders even and especially outside the normatized gender binary, but just like a policy aff doesn't have to solve every impact scenario, a k aff doesn't have to encapsulate every wrong, but regardless, it's just a suggestion. (On a tangent, you could also talk to Snarf, I imagine he might have an insight to the Queer studies side of the prostitution debate.) You could also go for a k of carceral politics and their effect on the poor, or something related like biopolitics as well, although the class focus (or rather the focus on the disproportionate way that class affects prostitution) would make for an interesting aff in my opinion.

I know we discussed earlier DnG, but what other lit bases have you looked at or are you familiar with?

Yes, it affects all genders even and especially outside the normatized gender binary, but just like a policy aff doesn't have to solve every impact scenario, a k aff doesn't have to encapsulate every wrong, but regardless, it's just a suggestion. (On a tangent, you could also talk to Snarf, I imagine he might have an insight to the Queer studies side of the prostitution debate.) 

That makes sense. It just helps to cover more bases, you know? More of a threat that way.

You could also go for a k of carceral politics and their effect on the poor, or something related like biopolitics as well, although the class focus (or rather the focus on the disproportionate way that class affects prostitution) would make for an interesting aff in my opinion.

I do REALLY like the idea of the societal class idea though. I looked into societal level prostitution and how it ties together, I don't think I cut anything on it though, sadly.

I know we discussed earlier DnG, but what other lit bases have you looked at or are you familiar with?

I've read plenty of Derrida, Giroux, Heidegger, Kappeler. I've read a little psychoanalysis, biopower/biopolitics, and a some of Nietzsche .

That makes sense. It just helps to cover more bases, you know? More of a threat that way.

I do REALLY like the idea of the societal class idea though. I looked into societal level prostitution and how it ties together, I don't think I cut anything on it though, sadly.

I've read plenty of Derrida, Giroux, Heidegger, Kappeler. I've read a little psychoanalysis, biopower/biopolitics, and a some of Nietzsche .

Shoot, never read any of those guys.

At any rate, I'd recommend looking up marxist analysis and prostitution then.

Gender and sex are different bruh

• Upvote 4

At any rate, I'd recommend looking up marxist analysis and prostitution then.

I'd suggest them. They are all really good in my opinion.

I'll do that, thanks!

Explain that concept to me. That's interesting and I haven't really heard that.

I'd suggest them. They are all really good in my opinion.

I'll do that, thanks!

Explain that concept to me. That's interesting and I haven't really heard that.

Sex is biological, what someone is born with. Most only think of two sexes (Male and Female), but genetics can get a little strange sometimes and some don't fall squarely within one or the other in a biological sense.

Gender is what someone identifies as (it's psychological) and has practically infinite possibilities. You can google gender identities to get an idea. When Facebook was in the news recently for 50 different gender options, this is the concept being discussed.

• Upvote 3

That's why gender indentity is a thing. I get it now.

To oversimplify, the problem is that masculine gets equated with male and feminine with females.

Edited by ARGogate
  • Upvote 1

Bruh? I find this pronoun ironic.

• Upvote 7

You can do a K aff on prostitution using gender as your basis, just don't frame gender relations as binary and prostitution as only harming women and you'll be fine

• Upvote 1

Susanne Kappeler is a woman

Most only think of two sexes (Male and Female), but genetics can get a little strange sometimes and some don't fall squarely within one or the other in a biological sense.

One could say that genetics gets a little queer, even ;)

But back to OP - it's good to choose a literature base first and look for solvency work that you can apply on the aff. Decide if you want a government advocacy (FG or states) or a more radical, less topical one. Harms work is going to be the easiest part, but having a winning method that solves your aff and beats most other kritiks and counterplans/proposals/methods is tough.

If you do a feminist prostitution aff - endorsing say, the "sex as work" position - your two biggest struggles will be against Fem and Cap arguments. Prostitution's roundly rejected by a lot of self-identified radical feminists, and lots of Marxists think it's a sellout reformist position. 

Lots of affirmatives on the college wiki are kritikal. Scope out what other people read to get a feel for what warrants need to be in the 1AC and how 1ACs get organized.

• Upvote 1

Susanne Kappeler is a woman

And she is a damn good one.

But back to OP - it's good to choose a literature base first and look for solvency work that you can apply on the aff. Decide if you want a government advocacy (FG or states) or a more radical, less topical one. Harms work is going to be the easiest part, but having a winning method that solves your aff and beats most other kritiks and counterplans/proposals/methods is tough.

If you do a feminist prostitution aff - endorsing say, the "sex as work" position - your two biggest struggles will be against Fem and Cap arguments. Prostitution's roundly rejected by a lot of self-identified radical feminists, and lots of Marxists think it's a sellout reformist position. 

Lots of affirmatives on the college wiki are kritikal. Scope out what other people read to get a feel for what warrants need to be in the 1AC and how 1ACs get organized.

How would I go about the advocacy? 

I have some cards on the "sex is work" idea, and most of them are from feminists. Would that give me leverage over Fem K at all?

I'll give the wiki a look for a common structural style. 

I'll be debating in college next year too so there's not a ton I can help you out with, specifically, so I can't help as much with the advocacy. If you want a critical, middle-of-the-road aff, look for what feminists say about what states should do with regards to prostitution reform. Those sources are the ones that will advocate a government position. If you want something more radical, I guess it really depends on what you happen to find during your research.

There are feminists that support the idea that sex is work, but many feminists also oppose it. They're typically rather radical and pessimistic with their outlook on either the nature of oppression or the role of the state. In the end it's going to be a debate between feminists about what feminism entails - you just need compelling reasons why your approach is comparatively better than the negative team's approach.

Wiki will be the most helpful here - just see what other people have cut, how they use arguments, what arguments are in 1ACs, etc. Try and think strategically about why certain things are the way they are - like why those arguments are a part of the 1AC and how they'll be used later in the round. It's rare to find something that lacks a strategic purpose in a debate case.

I'll be debating in college next year too so there's not a ton I can help you out with, specifically, so I can't help as much with the advocacy. If you want a critical, middle-of-the-road aff, look for what feminists say about what states should do with regards to prostitution reform. Those sources are the ones that will advocate a government position. If you want something more radical, I guess it really depends on what you happen to find during your research.

There are feminists that support the idea that sex is work, but many feminists also oppose it. They're typically rather radical and pessimistic with their outlook on either the nature of oppression or the role of the state. In the end it's going to be a debate between feminists about what feminism entails - you just need compelling reasons why your approach is comparatively better than the negative team's approach.

Wiki will be the most helpful here - just see what other people have cut, how they use arguments, what arguments are in 1ACs, etc. Try and think strategically about why certain things are the way they are - like why those arguments are a part of the 1AC and how they'll be used later in the round. It's rare to find something that lacks a strategic purpose in a debate case.

So far, most of my research indicates what needs done to prostitution to make it better. If I go that route, I'm good on that evidence for starters.

Should my reasoning to prefer be through evidence or can I just reference my evidence and use analysis as to why it's better?

Should I wait until the wiki is set for this debate season and see how other people do it for this topic? Or should I just go for it now?

Eh, I don't know if I agree with this viewpoint, but that's for a different topic

So far, most of my research indicates what needs done to prostitution to make it better. If I go that route, I'm good on that evidence for starters.

Should my reasoning to prefer be through evidence or can I just reference my evidence and use analysis as to why it's better?

Should I wait until the wiki is set for this debate season and see how other people do it for this topic? Or should I just go for it now?

The wiki will get set as people read their cases so unless you want to wait until like your third tournament or some such then it would be a good idea to start now.

If the CEDA forums are to be believed, judges will give more weight to the argument that's carded, even if it's the exact same argument that could or would be made in round. I'd try to find something card-able first.

• Upvote 1

The wiki will get set as people read their cases so unless you want to wait until like your third tournament or some such then it would be a good idea to start now.

If the CEDA forums are to be believed, judges will give more weight to the argument that's carded, even if it's the exact same argument that could or would be made in round. I'd try to find something card-able first.

I thought the Wiki was more a disclosure thing? 

I'm sure finding card-able won't be too hard to find.

Also, just to help you out with aff writing in general, think from the 2ar back. Depending on your circuit there can be a diverse amount of neg arguments and an aff that can subsume most, if not all, of the 2nr's offense is the best way to go. With K affs this it's generally easier as you can make I/L or root cause claims which is great in the 2ar.