Miro

Backflowing

How common of a practice is backflowing? 

As a 2N, I've never done this in the past, and my handwriting is probably illegible to my partner-- is it worth doing or should she just flow herself after her speech is done?

Edit: 

For context, here's a particularly bad example of my handwriting

http://imgur.com/4cLo7Ef (I flow backwards, don't get confused)

And here's my partners:

http://imgur.com/5V20EG1

Edited by Miro

If that's what passes for bad handwriting...well I guess mine has been compared to cuneiform before. Seems perfectly legible to me.

Anyways, I never saw the need to flow for my partner nor the other way around, I just flowed what they said and cross referenced back to my speech doc if I felt I missed something and same for my partner. If you feel you need to you could always just slow down when you flow for them.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

Your handwriting isn't that bad, some of my abbreviations have turned into hieroglyphics(econ impacts = $) and profanity(condo = fuck) Also, if you want to find out if she can't read it, just ask her ,no better way to find out.

Worst case hand her your flows, if it's something you aren't going to handle in the 2nc, you probably don't need to have it flowed as badly as she does.

Your handwriting isn't that bad, some of my abbreviations have turned into hieroglyphics(econ impacts = $) and profanity(condo = fuck) Also, if you want to find out if she can't read it, just ask her ,no better way to find out.

Worst case hand her your flows, if it's something you aren't going to handle in the 2nc, you probably don't need to have it flowed as badly as she does.

I might be able to dig up some old flows, we can compare bad handwriting.

Well I couldn't find any of my old PF flows from before I tried to fix my handwriting, but this works.

iDyiOkk.jpg

What about you?

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that's definitely legible still! You'd probably be fine backflowing. I never did it as a 2N though, since it would have been so ineffective for my partner and I - my handwriting is really bad, and my partner's was even worse.

For 2AC I think we had more than one team that pre-flowed the 2ac.

So some kind of pre-flowing might work.

Depending on how flexible the position is……it may be challenging to adapt on a round by round basis (add and subtract, etc…)

I think the printing option seems like the best….as long as your printer is reasonably quick.  You might also think about pre-printing too.

I might be able to dig up some old flows, we can compare bad handwriting.

Well I couldn't find any of my old PF flows from before I tried to fix my handwriting, but this works.

iDyiOkk.jpg

What about you?

You win. My handwriting isn't bad per se, but i just abbreviate a lot of stuff to the point of incomprehension 

• Upvote 1

• For 2AC I think we had more than one team that pre-flowed the 2ac.

So some kind of pre-flowing might work.

Depending on how flexible the position is……it may be challenging to adapt on a round by round basis (add and subtract, etc…)

I think the printing option seems like the best….as long as your printer is reasonably quick.  You might also think about pre-printing too.

How? Not doubting it happened, just wondering how would one go about pre-flowing a 2ac. 

How? Not doubting it happened, just wondering how would one go about pre-flowing a 2ac. 

Well you can expect certain answers to certain positions, especially if you know a team (like I always put PC not real as the top of my 2AC AT PTX last year) so I guess that would be what they meant.

1) Always backflow. You ought to have enough time to finish the backflow and finish during CX and Neg Block Prep.

2) If your partner can't read your handwriting: write in all CAPS handwriting on their flows. It makes it much more legible for them.

• Upvote 1

use docs.google.com to have a single joint flow. then one of you is always working on answering arg while the other is working on recording them.  best ever.

use docs.google.com to have a single joint flow. then one of you is always working on answering arg while the other is working on recording them.  best ever.

Some high schools tournaments don't allow internet access.

• Upvote 1

Some high schools tournaments don't allow internet access.

oh that sucks. 

There's honor rules for evidence veracity, but not for internet access. I never understood it, but whatever.

If you had internet access you wouldn't even need honor rules for evidence veracity

• Upvote 1

There's honor rules for evidence veracity, but not for internet access. I never understood it, but whatever.

I don't understand why not permit internet access. 

If your position can be beat with five minutes of cutting cards during prep, it's a bad position. I'd let debaters have unlimited free wifi. Block video streaming and live chat services, or just require debaters to make their screens unconditionally viewable to their opponents at any time - that would check coaching (which itself is nonunique - a mobile wifi hotspot that costs 20 bucks and doesn't broadcast its name does the exact same thing).

• Upvote 3

I don't understand why not permit internet access. 

If your position can be beat with five minutes of cutting cards during prep, it's a bad position. I'd let debaters have unlimited free wifi. Block video streaming and live chat services, or just require debaters to make their screens unconditionally viewable to their opponents at any time - that would check coaching (which itself is nonunique - a mobile wifi hotspot that costs 20 bucks and doesn't broadcast its name does the exact same thing).

1.) If it were just five minutes of prep i'd agree with you, but we're talking EIGHT minutes, did you hear me?!?!?! EIGHT. WHOLE. MINUTES. If you've got an aff or neg strat that I can't beat with eight minutes of cutting cards i'm running major theory on your ass because you've obviously cheated. 

2.) Mobile Wifi?! That some CIA technology right there, i'm pretty sure you get sent to Gitmo for that.

/sarcasm 

I think it's (usually) just the Lay dominated circuits that have these rules, so that way they can feel like they're running a quality tournament where no one can be cheated out of a ballot while its the judges that usually fuck everyone over. Granted, i can't speak from too much experience here, considering that at most tournaments here provide wifi (granted they won't tell you they posted the code, so now you have to find someone that has it and that might not happen until late in the tournament). 

I also believe that Wifi at tournaments helps if you have a while between rounds (especially at large tournaments), considering that with good disclosure practices you MIGHT be able to find some good cards that, even if they aren't round-winning, make the round (and thus the tournament) at least a little better. 

• Upvote 1

Payton, I love how you're now ending all your posts in "/sarcasm" since that one thread lol

• Upvote 1

Payton, I love how you're now ending all your posts in "/sarcasm" since that one thread lol

Yeah that was probably my fault...

• Upvote 1

People thought I was serious in several threads so I figured I'd make sure people knew

• Upvote 1