I am debating LD this year and I am currently working on constructing a theory file. So far, I have a bunch of blocks for arguments like effects T bad, limits good, conditionality bad, etc., but I'm worried that I still won't be able to answer certain theory arguments on the national circuit because I don't have answers/don't know what they are. Can anybody give me a list of the major LD theory concepts, or link me to a place where I can find them? I did policy for a few years, so I know some of those, I just need LD-specific stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Affirmative Framework Choice (AFC) or Affirmative Ethical Choice (AEC), Necessary but Insufficient Burdens (NIB's) are probably the most common theory arguments run on the national circuit. Condo/Dispo, implementation, T of K, T of plans are all things that are run as well. A lot of the theory arguments have to do with the framework debate.

Edited by johnsmith59

effects T bad, limits good, conditionality bad

I sincerely doubt any of these are major theoretical issues on the national circuit. If you're going to a camp that would be the prime source of theory knowledge.

However, searching the opinion pieces on nsdupdate.com, the Victory Briefs boards, and if the NDCA wiki is working, whatever disclosed theory interps there are there, will give you a better feel for the main issues. This is hardly an all-inclusive list, but some of them are:

- AFC (affirmative framework choice--LARPers like to use this to justify util)

- T: Ought = util & Parametrics (theoretical justifications for util/consequentialist frameworks)

- the most basic is NIBs bad (necessary but insufficient burdens--e.g. you have to prove that morality exists first and then prove that the rez is true beyond that)

- plans good/bad

- Skeptical/permissibility/presumption triggers good/bad

- probably want some metatheoretical stuff (includes AFC I guess, multiple shells bad, the like)

- disclosure theory is on the rise for good or for ill

- RVIs (reverse voting issues) are a must for any counterinterp you want to make offensive. BUT: Running your own theory shell is better. Just being aware about reasons for/against them is probably good.

- I'm sure some teams run theory against kritikal/performance/micropolitical arguments but you might not want to do that.

I bet more experienced/better knowledgeable debaters can give you a more wholesome view than this though--so check out the boards!

- AFC (affirmative framework choice--LARPers like to use this to justify util)

Live Action Role Players? Dear god why are they debating? 

Edited by RainSilves

- RVIs (reverse voting issues) are a must for any counterinterp you want to make offensive. BUT: Running your own theory shell is better. Just being aware about reasons for/against them is probably good.

And this is why I never once thought about doing LD. 

• Upvote 2

An error occurred. You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

LDers call people who read plans, AFC util/parameters & specific offense (even if it's not a plan), DAs, CPs (to a lesser extent) and Ks rather than just critical arguments "LARPers."

And re: RVIs--that's why you run your own theory shell. So you don't need to go for that.

• Upvote 3