Payton

Multilat

Technically is multilateralism a theoretically legitimate advantage? I mean, you do need other countries to help you solve x problem, it's not just the US doing it, so wouldn't this be intl. fiat and FX-T? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just wondering

Edited by Payton

Well the advantage would be theoretically legitimate, since topicality is predicated off of the plan text. Now, whether the plan text itself is legit...that depends on the PT.

• Upvote 1

Sure it can! Remember, ADVANTAGES do not have to be topical. What needs to be topical is the wording of the plan text. It is only extra-t if you have it in your plan text. If someone makes a claim off of your advantages then you call them out on that! Do not let them think that you can't read advantages that what some people may call "un-topical". 

P.S. Don't ever think that a question is dumb, NO question is dumb! All questions are legitimate.

Edited by Bullsinthebronx
  • Upvote 4

If you have evidence that [x] actor will assist, than it is a legitimate advantage. If your plantext fiats their assistance, it is not.

• Upvote 2

Thanks to everyone above! So in the case of normalize trade relations, it would be legit to just lift the embargo and then use multilat as an adv. but what of there is no X group says they'll cooperate post-plan, just influence will be boosted

Thanks to everyone above! So in the case of normalize trade relations, it would be legit to just lift the embargo and then use multilat as an adv. but what of there is no X group says they'll cooperate post-plan, just influence will be boosted

The way Madi and Ragul framed that argument in our semis round was that doing the aff boosted US influence in existing multilateral organizations (UN). The aff itself didn't have any evidence saying country X would offer co-op, but rather US would be perceived in a better light allowing for more effective multilateral cooperation. 

Edited by StormA03

The way Madi and Ragul framed that argument in our semis round was that doing the aff boosted US influence in existing multilateral organizations (UN). The aff itself didn't have any evidence saying country X would offer co-op, but rather US would be perceived in a better light allowing for more effective multilateral cooperation.

True, that's how I ran it too, but was wondering technically since the US isn't solving X impact, and it's a multitude of countries working together, is that legit?

Multilat Fails :)

Considering the year is over, I can finally admit that yeah it does fail

P.S. NO question is dumb! All questions are legitimate.

so all questions are good questions? Or is this question a dumb question? What's the difference between a good question and a bad question? and also, just why?

• Downvote 1

I am now running "Advantages must be topical" theory and no one can stop me!

I'll remember this if I hit you this year.

*makes the 'I'm watching you' finger gesture with my fingers*

I am now running "Advantages must be topical" theory and no one can stop me!

Hahahaha, nah I just was wondering did multilat venture into intl. fiat because you technically aren't solving via the US

The Standard for Evaluating Such Issues:

Plan text versus disadvanges.

If advantages were the standard for topicality…….debate would be super-boring…..because all advantages are extra-topical.