StormA03

Flowing Theory

So I've been watching and (trying) flowing college rounds and I'm having a hard time flowing theory. I can get tags and stuff down without a problem, but when they get to Condo my flow just disappears. I usually can't get all of the standards down and I don't know where to put the theory on the flow, whether it be on the CP, K flow or on a separate piece of paper. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Try writing down all the things that you hear. It's hard to hear some stuff so what I do is write down whatever it is I hear and just write in abbreviations - because you know, it's a lot easier and can get more things down. Go for the key argument, you don't have to write down exactly what they say. For example if they say "This is the dirty underside of city planning where I come from – the people in power prioritize the needs of a limited slice of the transportation demographic in pursuit of a quick buck, leaving us behind in the process. Victor and I want to center this discussion of Transportation Infrastructure around the poor and communities of color who bear the brunt of the unjust nature of the modern transportation system. This problem is endemic to city planning which displaces waste and pollution into sacrifice zones occupied by urban poor and communities of color." I would write "pple w/ pwr = quick buck. Talks about TI around pple of clr who brunt unjust nature of TI. city planning = Pollution & sacrifice zones. 

You just have to pick out the most important parts of what they are saying. 

You probably need to improve your shorthand. On common arguments like condo, you should be able to abbreviate entire phrases into a couple letters/symbols. Because theory is a lot of information that needs to be flowed, you have to be able to write it super efficiently. This is probably one of the weaker parts of my own flowing (excluding handwriting). Recently, I've just been trying to come up with 5 new abbreviations/shorthands for every debate I flow. 

• Upvote 2

Theory should probably go on its own piece of paper. You might want to mark on the flow when they read which theory shell, though. Judges that flow on computers usually don't mind where you flow it, so long as you signpost very well - any theory section can be moved to another page really quickly for them.

• Upvote 1