I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I'm not the best when it comes to knowing what the hottest/best items are out there. I use my computer mostly to do debate work, homework and stream TV shows. I don't have many requirements other than something really sturdy (I'm pretty clumsy), not a Mac, and a computer with longevity (both in terms of battery life and just not going kaput in a year). I'm pretty flexible with the price, so if you can any give suggestions, that would be nice

Edited by Alwaysgoforinherency

Generally a nice ultrabook works really well for debate and for the other things you mentioned. You can also get some at good prices. Some good ones for their price would be a HP folio I3 (which is what I use) or ASUS Zenbooks. 

Edited by Maxhashhax

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-i7-4700MQ-1080P-DUAL-GT755M-SLI-16GB-1TB-8GB-Gaming-Laptop-/161359761727?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2591ca913f

Best performance for the price imo. Only complaint about it's specs is the 5400 RPM HDD, but it has an 8 gig SSD cache drive and one could replace the HDD in it with a SSD. 

I bought this and it runs very fast. The RAM and CPU should insure that you never have performance problems in round, and if you like to game the dual GPU's running in SLI give very good performance for a laptop. Touchpad on it sucks though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-i7-4700MQ-1080P-DUAL-GT755M-SLI-16GB-1TB-8GB-Gaming-Laptop-/161359761727?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2591ca913f

Best performance for the price imo. Only complaint about it's specs is the 5400 RPM HDD, but it has an 8 gig SSD cache drive and one could replace the HDD in it with a SSD. 

I bought this and it runs very fast. The RAM and CPU should insure that you never have performance problems in round, and if you like to game the dual GPU's running in SLI give very good performance for a laptop. Touchpad on it sucks though

LOL I have never seen a laptop with sli/crossfire before! That's awesome. Too bad the card isn't very good.

Just wondering, how hot does that thing get? Laptops have no airflow at all and most people avoid dual gpus in desktops because of extended heat output.

Edited by OfficerTom

I use this same laptop, I highly recommend it. The laptop works great for tasks that require low-processing, as in debate, and if you're into gaming, the laptop is very appropriate for that too, the i7 processor can overclocked to run at over 3 Ghz. The only con I feel is that the laptop's a bit heavy, and usually debaters like to have lighter laptops in order to ensure maximum mobility. 

LOL I have never seen a laptop with sli/crossfire before! That's awesome. Too bad the card isn't very good.

Just wondering, how hot does that thing get? Laptops have no airflow at all and most people avoid dual gpus in desktops because of extended heat output.

It stays within a safe temperature after running Skyrim on ultra for 2 hours with tons of graphics mods, but it gets hot in the sense that parts of the laptop are hot to the touch. They did a pretty good job with it, especially since it's really easy to pull the second graphics board out and switch it out with a fan or an extra battery. 

I use this same laptop, I highly recommend it. The laptop works great for tasks that require low-processing, as in debate, and if you're into gaming, the laptop is very appropriate for that too, the i7 processor can overclocked to run at over 3 Ghz. The only con I feel is that the laptop's a bit heavy, and usually debaters like to have lighter laptops in order to ensure maximum mobility. 

I would argue that debate requires a lot of processing power. If you have like ~10 word windows open, you're going to be kissing that 16 gigs of ram and I7 when it keeps running fast and giving you that extra few seconds needed to win a break round. 

I'd have to recommend an ultra book as well. The impact of having multiple Windows open of something like Microsoft Word is really being overstated, you can check this with the resource monitor built into Windows yourself. The problem with gaming laptops is portability (particularly weight) and battery life. If you're in HS the weight issue won't be as prevalent, but from a college perspective (or camp) lugging around a heavy laptop gets to be a PITA. As far as battery life goes, this is the real killer, particularly if plugs in the rooms you are in are limited. Obviously it depends on the buildings themselves, but last year I frequently found myself in a situation where there were no available plugs for a round. While you can disable the GPU in most gaming laptops even then they generally have mediocre battery life and comparing it to ultra books the difference is generally night and day.

It would be very helpful to have a budget limit or at least a ball park.

Edit: performance charts on OS X and Windows with 10 windows of word open

Mac Book Pro-CPU

mHjlGbB.png

Mac Book Pro-RAM

D3YIBqE.png

Old windows laptop-both

qagCo3G.jpg

The screenshots on the Mac charts show it, but word was very little of the actual resources used, same on the windows laptop (the system monitor actually used more CPU performance than word.)

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 2