Saudade

How do you even flow K rounds?

Something I've seen a lot during K-heavy (often 1-off (especially college)) rounds is that my flow ends up being really messy -

1. there's huge overviews and little signposting. How does one even keep a coherent flow without having to constantly guess where arguments are located?

2. Oftentimes there's no roadmap at the beginning of the aff speeches?

So what is the best way to keep a clean flow?

Four helpful tips:

1) Overviews on a separate sheet

2) Give yourself extra room between answers  (also you have to know when stuff is going to need extra room....ie the perm debate potentially)

3) For evidenced claims, I provide a circle and an x in the center.

4) I have a ? for missed arguments/tags  [if you have a ? for something else, you might consider another signal--but it should work]

I think understanding the arguments is more important than a flow thats perfect.  (obviously always be improving that, though.  keep on practicing)

Plus in the context of debates you actually get to ask questions of other participants & read the evidence.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 1

Four helpful tips:

1) Overviews on a separate sheet

This makes sense, I guess I'm just bothered by how overviews end up being so damn long that I don't know when the line by line will ever happen

• Upvote 1

This makes sense, I guess I'm just bothered by how overviews end up being so damn long that I don't know when the line by line will ever happen

i have had tons of problems with people not being clear with the ending of the overview and the first card/line by line argument. I frequently find myself a couple arguments behind on the flow by the time i am able to find my bearings.