FUDGE

Sand Aff opinions?

How good would a microscale aff about Sand be? Plan Text: USFG should create sand gathering and research plants on the coasts of the atlantic and pacific oceans.

yeah. so far I'm stuck at "why...?"

• Upvote 3

Truth is, I dislike most aff's being thrown out this year under the resolution, sand just seemed more or less interesting to me for whatever reason. Seems topical enough to me.

The idea of sand advantages would be

Solar power

Recovery of the glass industry

Hawaii's black sand

Enviro

etc...

• Upvote 1

Counterplan - use sand on the land.  The net benefit is spending because you don't have to deal with all the water.  How would you answer it?

• Upvote 1

Counterplan - use sand on the land.  The net benefit is spending because you don't have to deal with all the water.  How would you answer it?

We solve better due to the fact that several underwater sand deposits in themselves are ecosystems that are under decline. A better understanding of what is causing these issues will solve the basis of the food chains for these coastal areas. Next, blacksand found in the coastal waters of hawaii are much more developed and sedintized than those on land. This brings in a higher revenue of possible gold.

• Upvote 1

In a serious way, there's a difference between the "land" sand and beach sand. Dubai, for instance, has literal tons of desert sand, but it has to import tons of beach sand for its projects (including concrete projects) because adding water to desert makes quicksand. It pretty much has to do with the size of the grains due to being weathered by water versus wind.

We solve better due to the fact that several underwater sand deposits in themselves are ecosystems that are under decline. A better understanding of what is causing these issues will solve the basis of the food chains for these coastal areas. Next, blacksand found in the coastal waters of hawaii are much more developed and sedintized than those on land. This brings in a higher revenue of possible gold.

Wait, what? What are you going to be using the black sand for? ...Gold? ...Profit?

Also, it's illegal to remove black sand from Hawaii due to its relative scarcity.

You'll definitely trigger the curse DA; take black sand from Hawaii, and you're cursed until/unless you return it.

• Upvote 2

In a serious way, there's a difference between the "land" sand and beach sand. Dubai, for instance, has literal tons of desert sand, but it has to import tons of beach sand for its projects (including concrete projects) because adding water to desert makes quicksand. It pretty much has to do with the size of the grains due to being weathered by water versus wind.

Wait, what? What are you going to be using the black sand for? ...Gold? ...Profit?

Also, it's illegal to remove black sand from Hawaii due to its relative scarcity.

You'll definitely trigger the curse DA; take black sand from Hawaii, and you're cursed until/unless you return it.

Haha, curse DA, shoot, youre right

Gold or diamonds, probably diamonds, those are more prevalent in hawaii.

Also,

A: Chapter 171.58.5 of Hawai`i Revised Statutes states:

Prohibitions. The mining or taking of sand, dead coral or coral rubble, rocks, soil or other marine deposits seaward from the shoreline is prohibited with the following exceptions:

(1) The taking from seaward of the shoreline of such materials, not in excess of one gallon per person per day for reasonable, personal, noncommercial use;..."

does not specify extraction of precious minerals and is considered more of a protection of the organic side of Hawain sand. Even if you take that interp lewidly, I can always tack on some objectivist framework on it.

Edited by MrFudgeFox

Truth is, I dislike most aff's being thrown out this year under the resolution, sand just seemed more or less interesting to me for whatever reason. Seems topical enough to me.

The idea of sand advantages would be

Solar power

Recovery of the glass industry

Hawaii's black sand

Enviro

etc...

How do you access solar power or enviro? Also, the best impact for the death of the glass industry is econ decline and i don't think ANY author writes that glass industry key to economy which fucks you over on the I/L scenario

Also, it seems that the aff is at best FX-T, sandfishing that effects the oceans eventually doesn't seem like something the neg would prep for making T a compelling story, but we're in Arkansas and most judges don't care about T anyway, so you're probably cool 

Edited by payton

How do you access solar power or enviro? Also, the best impact for the death of the glass industry is econ decline and i don't think ANY author writes that glass industry key to economy which fucks you over on the I/L scenario

Also, it seems that the aff is at best FX-T, sandfishing that effects the oceans eventually doesn't seem like something the neg would prep for making T a compelling story, but we're in Arkansas and most judges don't care about T anyway, so you're probably cool 

Take the sand out of the water, put it in  the heat storage plants of solar energy.

Enviro would be the coastal ecosystem which is tied to sand.

You are right about the I/L scenario though. Glass really isn't key to the econ, maybe key to infrastructure? Idk.

When I came up with this AFF idea a month ago it seemed really cool, however in reality this is probably a shitty plan.

Ummm, yeah so what would the benefit of mining/whatever diamonds be again? If you're talking for industrial use then it'd be much easier to make those diamonds synthetically, since drill bits/grinders don't need to be sparkly. And if you're talking gems, um...well I guess we can make more engagement rings? There's almost certainly not enough to affect government revenue and at that point supply and demand take over.

Ummm, yeah so what would the benefit of mining/whatever diamonds be again? If you're talking for industrial use then it'd be much easier to make those diamonds synthetically, since drill bits/grinders don't need to be sparkly. And if you're talking gems, um...well I guess we can make more engagement rings? There's almost certainly not enough to affect government revenue and at that point supply and demand take over.

Precisely, I wanted to make an microplan that linked to small amount of arguments and would facilitate small-scale solvency and low magnitude impact debate. That was the idea that sand would convey, until I heard a bunch of tacked on adv my friend made. So that went out the window

Unfortunately, I don't think those exist unless you know of one.

Edited by MrFudgeFox
  • Upvote 1

AKA lots of solid impact defense in the 2AC

Edited by MrFudgeFox

You seem intent on defending this aff, which is really good. 

You could probably find some large-scale uses for sand which COULD potentially give good impacts and links to something that gets you an easy internal link scenario  [i.e. if you can somehow link sandfishing to heg, heg has some good I/L's and impacts as well as an easy to explain scenario that can get VERY nuanced depending on how you deploy + whoever the judge is (i.e. lay judge = No heg --> Nuke war. But for a good judge No heg --> Nuke war, but better evidence that lets you play a lot of shifty tricks that get you out of K's, DA's, etc.)]

I'd read this aff without big stick impacts - wouldn't try to go for the internal to econ or anything else. I'd find some evidence saying that the research has potential medical effects, or improves the lives of some small set of communities. Then I'd hunker down and make the 2AC giant counter-kritiks of impacts. No death impacts in the 1AC = fantastic 2AC flex. We had a few teams at UF do that (read a small, touchy-feely aff and then explode the 2ac with counter kritiks), with moderate national success. Remember, "almost no advantage" is still sufficient to overcome presumption, and doesn't link to anything - it'll send neg teams scrambling.

• Upvote 1

I'd read this aff without big stick impacts - wouldn't try to go for the internal to econ or anything else. I'd find some evidence saying that the research has potential medical effects, or improves the lives of some small set of communities. Then I'd hunker down and make the 2AC giant counter-kritiks of impacts. No death impacts in the 1AC = fantastic 2AC flex. We had a few teams at UF do that (read a small, touchy-feely aff and then explode the 2ac with counter kritiks), with moderate national success. Remember, "almost no advantage" is still sufficient to overcome presumption, and doesn't link to anything - it'll send neg teams scrambling.

NOOOOO!!!! YOU READ THIS WITH THE MOST HYPERBOLIC IMPACTS POSSIBLE!! ALIEN ATTACKS, DRACULA, NUKE WAR, GOKU CAN'T FIND THE DRAGON BALLS, REPEAL OF THE 27th AMENDMENT (google it). THAT'S THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUS IN POLICY. 

• Upvote 3

NOOOOO!!!! YOU READ THIS WITH THE MOST HYPERBOLIC IMPACTS POSSIBLE!! ALIEN ATTACKS, DRACULA, NUKE WAR, GOKU CAN'T FIND THE DRAGON BALLS, REPEAL OF THE 27th AMENDMENT (google it). THAT'S THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUS IN POLICY. 

Dracula is actually non-unique, considering John killed him like 100 years ago.

Or is that what the Dracula controlled media wants you to think?!?!

• Upvote 1

Or is that what the Dracula controlled media wants you to think?!?!

Pretty sure Bram Stoker wasn't under the control of Dracula.

• Upvote 1

The death toll would be over 9000!!!

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Bram Stoker wasn't under the control of Dracula.

That's what they want you to think

Sand contains silicon which is used in computers and solar panels. You could find cards saying that silicon is holding back tech and go from there.

• Upvote 1