Solax10

Research

I am trying to be productive before next season star and gather some evidence for the oceans topic. I usually use google scholar to try and find some topics but my problem is everything I pull up is books that cost $15-$20 to read. My question is, how do you all research because it seems like my methods are failing.

I waited until I got into a University and then suddenly had free access to nearly everything (damn you John Hopkins) and looked back on the misery that was my public high school's database access. 

Ummm...cut from Brookings and didn't run many K positions if we're being serious.

• Upvote 1

You find a book, then you type "*insert book here* pdf free" into google. Then you download the pdf, read it, and cut cards. eZpZ. Articles are also a lot easier than books tbh. 

I agree that articles are better than books, but the topic I am researching for a possible plan next year isn't amazingly popular. A lot of articles give snippets about their opinion but the "jackpot" of info is in the books.

I agree that articles are better than books, but the topic I am researching for a possible plan next year isn't amazingly popular. A lot of articles give snippets about their opinion but the "jackpot" of info is in the books.

Go to library that has book.

Scan book pages.

OCR pages.

• Upvote 2

http://www.freefullpdf.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.sort=

I'm sure there are lots of alternatives, but this is what I use most of the time. At first, I used it to gain access to locked articles that required payment, but now I use it as almost a search engine and find tons of evidence off of this. If anyone has any feedback about this or any other search engines that give full access to articles, it would be greatly appreciated.

SSRN is a free resource. Check out en.bookfi.org also, for books. Or try some place like /r/Scholar

• Upvote 2

Real answer: Use regular google, but do search tools>All Results>Reading Level>Advanced

Also be smart with your searches. Make sure to use quotes for exact phrases and the & sign to guarantee a term is included.

The struggles of wanting to have a unique plan that not many wrote articles on. Thank you all for your help!

Edited by Solax10

The struggles of wanting to have a unique plan that not many wrote articles on. Thank you all for your help!

I ran into that problem with finding good new inherency on my aquifer aff for last year. No one was really writing much about it in 2014. despite it not being resolved. 

The trick that timecube suggested earlier, also Snark is right.  If you get into camp then just download ever book you can get from their services.  As many as you can find that seem like it might help.  Then later you can look through and cut them.

I coached college debate for 5 or so years:

Here are a couple:

1. Focus on high impact arguments (aka difference makers & stuff you are going to use again and again)

2. Focus on high impact resources (books and articles)

Find a local university that allows public access if possible.  Make it a half day or day trip if necessary (ie if its far away)

Depth vs. breadth may be an option too.  Go deep on your arguments as a general rule.

I did alot of work with caselists.  This takes the risk out of book buying to a great extent.

Sell back books that aren't useful on Amazon (assumeing you can get 1/2 or more back).

Interlibrary loan is probably even better than the Amazon Kindle suggestion.

I don't like reading books on Amazon kindle all that much.  Its nice when you have the downtime, but prefer text and the tangibility of books.  However, if you like to read on Kindle and can cut......I'm curious if having Amazon Prime makes sense (given the free e-book issue). Someone else may have better first hand knowledge of extact books on Amazon prime.  I'm not sure what the speed of cutting on Kindle vs. cutting 'normally"

Edited by nathan_debate