smallshark

Best in Washington 2014

reviving it; respond or else my nominations will remain uncontested, i guess

open call to all wa debaters: if you're in the greater seattle area, hmu and we'll go to the aquarium together.

Best judge: mccool
Best coach:
Best squad/school: interlake, tbh 
Best team: interlake lm (strictly speaking, sgs rm)
Best aff team: gprep js
Best neg team: sgs rm
Best kritik debater: slim
Best straight-up policy debater: kashif
Best aff: mexican sewers, let's be real
Best negative position: chow
Most persuasive speaker: kashif
Most helpful person: mccool
Most hardworking debater: slim, yae-rang
Fastest debater: emily!!!
Best debater overall: slim
Novice to watch out for next year: aria from vashon
The best team next year:
Squad to watch out for next year: ingraham, i think
Funniest debater: julia zaglin, isaac
Most fun debater to judge/watch: yae-rang
Rookie team of the year: jason and colin from ingraham, henny from kamiak
Most underrated team: mt vernon hk
Most underrated debater: kate from sgs
Most improved debater: callan foster
Most improved team: vashon sz & co.

(addendum: as always, sorry for western washington bias, the cascades are not that easy to cross; "strictly speaking" because sarah and isaac couldn't compete locally; also, whether or not i used your last name doesn't signify anything about you - i'm just too tired to agonize about it and it's 3 the night before camp)

"Best in Washington" is so 2010 (and 2009, and 2008)

#tbt to when there even WAS a Washington, I guess

Best judge: Taylor Coles
Best coach: Sue Mohn, obvi
Best squad/school: Vashon did aite
Best team: SGS RM for life and death
Best aff team: gprep js
Best neg team: sgs rm
Best kritik debater: Isaac
Best straight-up policy debater: Liam Donnelly
Best aff: HSR to Mexico
Best negative position: T-QPQ and case
Most persuasive speaker: kashif, 
Most helpful person: mccool
Most hardworking debater: yae-rang, lili
Fastest debater: Lili
Best debater overall: Stephanie Permut
Novice to watch out for next year: aria from vashon, Jason and Colin from Ingy
The best team next year: Interlake GY and HJ
Squad to watch out for next year: Interlake ngl
Funniest debater: Isaac
Most fun debater to judge/watch: Isaac
Rookie team of the year: jason and colin from ingraham
Most underrated team: mt vernon hk
Most underrated debater: kate from sgs
Most improved debater: callan foster
Most improved team: Vashon SZ

debated over whether or not to do one of these, decided to just write some thoughts on WA debate people, and some props for people I feel deserve them (since the categories seem a little reductionist and oversimplify what it means to be "good" at debate IMHO)

props:

- to vashon for having a good season despite the structural disadvantage of having jack mcgougan as a coach

- to Tahoma CW, perhaps one of the most underrated teams in the state, for reading the most interesting arguments i saw this season

- to Keith Templeton, a mt vernon novice, for being the funniest debater i judged this year, and probably a force to be reckoned with in future seasons

- to the holy names debaters, who have never not seemed to have fun during a debate regardless of how well they're doing, and especially Miranda Hardy, who is probably one of the most improved debaters of the year

- to all the new policy teams of the year (walla walla, pasco, Eisenhower, Othello, etc), to all the teams at state that were welcoming to them and helped in making the community more accessible, and to all the judges that were willing to work with them and other less-experienced teams throughout the year

- to all the judges who care about making every round a good pedagogical experience: taylor reynolds, taylor coles, zach Maghirang, Todde Moore, mccool, john clare, and just about anybody else that still writes useful things on ballots/doesn't browse reddit even after the 2ac drops T

- to Interlake LM, two of the hardest working debaters I know, on sticking it through to the end and being an inspiration for a lot of other people in the community, and to the whole interlake squad on working real hard and having 4 of the best soph's in the country (also s/o to interlake GY for having a rough state tournament)

- to the Ingraham squad, for getting through a season with a lot of changes and unexpected turn and still coming out alive and well, for mentoring the hippest group of novices i've ever seen, and for always being some of the nicest people at tournaments. also to Emma and Brenton, who both did very well this season despite constant changes in partnerships and coaching

- to Sam Normington, for driving me around tacoma for an afternoon and for being perhaps the best debater-turned-dad ever (and for being sorta like a father to most of washington debate)

- to all the debaters who at least tried to make a new friend at every tournament

- and to all the people who didn't do as well as they wanted to this year but still showed up at tournaments every weekend because, for whatever reason, they loved the community and the activity no matter what arbitrary record they ended up with

best of luck to all the seniors in whatever they're doing next year, and to everyone who is debating next year. 

• Upvote 5

HAHAHAHA, how cute, you think I'm not also browsing reddit at the same time :)  Although, that should explain to all of you why I am quick to forget every round you've ever had in front of me. Actually, I just care about adjudicating and then stop caring about past rounds. I'm only on reddit during prep.

Edited by Nature Boy

Best coach/judge: honestly, y'all seem to way underappreciate and under-utilize Steve Rowe's (Interlake) debate experience and knowledge. 

Best squad/school: interlake, tbh 

Best team: interlake lm (strictly speaking, sgs rm)

Most Improved Team:  Vashon - y'all not only improved from year to year, but from tournament to tournament. It was awesome to see.

Best aff: I hate you all

Best negative position: case turns, disad, PIC (I hate you all, this topic was built for it, especially given how lazy everyone was in cutting/breaking new affs)

Most persuasive speaker: kashif

Most helpful person: all of your judges. Few debate areas get as much high quality post-round and ballot instruction as WA tournaments tend to have. 

Fastest debater: bring me more case/disad/PIC debates and I'll tell you next year

Best debater overall: slim

Squad to watch out for next year: Interlake (lots of 7 weeks? Yeah, I'd say watch out)

Funniest debater: you're not funny

edit fixed for stupid.

Edited by Nature Boy

Best coach/judge: honestly, y'all seem to way underappreciate and under-utilize Steve Rowe's (Ingraham's) debate experience and knowledge. 
Best squad/school: interlake, tbh 
Squad to watch out for next year: ingraham (lots of 7 weeks? Yeah, I'd say watch out)

you're getting ingraham and interlake confused

Most helpful person: all of your judges. Few debate areas get as much high quality post-round and ballot instruction as WA tournaments tend to have. 

word. the amount of thoughts that judges express to students in WA makes it much easier for adaption [and thus makes up for the lower-quality judges in the pool].