EndlessFacepalm

Probably a Novice Question...

Why don't debaters give away free files? I understand that many people want something in return for their hard work, but why don't cards circulate for free all that often? Why is trading seen as a necessity?

• Upvote 1

I've seen a surprising lot of cards being posted on cross-x for free lately, especially by some of our more senior members like ARGogate, ktg9616, JosephOverman and feldsy (to name only a few). That, and several people have uploaded their year's research files - the aforementioned ktg, Squirreloid and Edgehopper, Jon Cook, and someone else who I'm not remembering. If there's anything you need specifically I'm sure that someone would be glad to help you out with your research - otherwise cutting your own files (or trading for those of others) gives you an inventory with which to trade on this forum.

• Upvote 1

A lot of times, debaters put in excessive amounts of work to craft files with overviews, extensions, etc. When their hard work is given away with no return, people often view it negatively. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't post some of my files online, because I like having files that only I read, because they are *my* files.

I don't exactly understand the obsession with trading, if someone needs a file and I don't have an extreme attachment to it, I'll give it to them.

Research is a precious commodity.  It requires time, which is a limiting resource.  It is also one of two realms of activity in which teams can seek an advantage.  Good research skills, like good performance skills, can be turned into wins.  If you just give your research away, you're giving away wins, literally.

Not only that, but the research you've done is a signal to other teams of the nature of your files.  It lets them prep against your arguments, see where you're weak, and be a step ahead of you in a debate.  So it's worse than just losing an advantage, it's gaining a significant disadvantage.

Finally, in terms of pedagogy, research is a key skill.  If everyone shared all their research, you'd have a few kids and coaches who enjoyed the research end writing files for basically the whole country.  Most debaters wouldn't bother because they could just get arguments from others most of the time, or do only very limited research.  This would kill much of the educational value of debate.  (And as a judge, everyone would be reading pretty much the same things - you'd have some small subset of cases, DAs, etc... that would be identical down to the specific cards used.  Talk about boring to listen to).  You already see this with camp files to an extent, and you can tell who the teams are who do a lot of research and the ones who don't.  Not that I begrudge shared camp files, starting from a common pool of arguments is good, but expecting all debaters to freely share their own personal research on top of that is a terrible idea.

So while I had little problem sharing much of my work *after* we were done for the year, I wasn't about to give away my hard work while my kids were still competing.  The quality of our evidence was one of the things that let my kids do well competitively - it was a critical strategic resource for us.  (And there were a few files we didn't share, in the expectation we'd probably use them this next year - can't give away all our tricks).

Edit: OTOH, there's good stuff in the Debate Relevant News thread.  It's links to articles rather than cut cards, but there's an interesting variety from politics to philosophy.

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Raid the Vdebates.  They're a great source of evidence that i totally don't use. 

• Upvote 2

I'll happily give away specific cards/blocks if people need help, but rarely full files.

1. Strategic reasons. It gives others a strategic benefit in their own rounds, and can also hurt you if others have access to all your evidence beforehand.

2. Debate cards get reused enough as it is. I think it's bad for the community to be using the same files over and over again when there's so much uncut literature out ther. Also, my research skills have definitely improved because of debate, and I think it's good to encourage others to develop good research skills too. 

Why don't debaters give away free files? I understand that many people want something in return for their hard work, but why don't cards circulate for free all that often? Why is trading seen as a necessity?

Honestly, I hate that we don't anymore. Old cross-x never said "PM me" or "let's trade" - people just posted shit, often straight to the thread with highlighting still in it. I don't wanna sound crotchety, but I stayed here because it taught me debate in a circuit where there was no CX, not because "I lucked out on this sick trade once". 

with highlighting still in it 

How did people do this? Did they put it into a word doc and post that, or is there someway to post highlighting on a Cross-Ex post?

How did people do this? Did they put it into a word doc and post that, or is there someway to post highlighting on a Cross-Ex post?

The latter - there were entire threads (mostly in V-Debates) dedicated to explaining how to do it, since cloud media hosting (mediafire, then dropbox) didn't exist prominently for use back then, which forced you to post the speech doc in the thread.