mauchline

Flowing on the computer

For going into the start of the incoming year, I was trying to find a format or template for flowing a policy round on the computer. Does anyone have any templates for how to do this? Or does anyone have any thoughts on if flowing on the computer is easier than flowing on multiple pieces of paper? 

Here is the flow template I made: http://www.mediafire.com/view/802k3rig4xd2lpn/Flow_Template.xls

Tbh, I think it's just smarter to flow on paper. Search through some other posts on here about this same subject and you'll see why, it's just easier to debate paperless and flow on paper 

Edited by CodyGustafson
  • Upvote 6

If you are debating paper then maybe flowing on the computer makes sense but if you are debating paperless then it will be too difficult to transition between flowing and prepping 

• Upvote 4

the only time i flow on a comp is when i'm watching rounds. there are a lot of reasons to do this. Like Ananth said, the transition can end up taking a lot of time pulling up or opening different tabs for speeches along with flowing. also if ANYTHING happens to your computer in round (i've had problems where my battery dies and other difficulties) and you flow on your computer you are just screwed. if you flow on paper, worst case scenario you at least still have everything. that's how i ended up winning my last round at the iowa tournament last year. computer died during the 2AR, but i had my paper flow so it was okay. if it works for you, you could do it. There are a lot of risks though. and form what i heard 1% risk is the worst thing in the world #politicsDA.

• Upvote 8

I've flowed on paper for two years and I really haven't had a lot of these problems -

Why I do it -

1. My hand writing is horrendous - Everytime I flow on paper, it becomes very cluttered and very difficult to think of what I meant while I outlined my speech

2. I type faster on the computer - I can get more thoughts down and also certain short cuts exist where you can type a couple letters and you get a whole sentence

3. You can have most of your speeches pre flowed - All I have to do is pull up my 1ac speech doc and I have the 1ac, some common 2ac answers with 1ar extensions for some cards

As for screen switching - 

A) You just get good at alt-tab. You can figure it out pretty quick after your first round

B) I have it open on two screens, my flow maybe one or two columns, the speech doc bigger.

I'll attach my template - Also if you have an questions, feel free to ask

EDIT: I can't upload it, but if you want it, PM me

Edited by lbchuck1
  • Upvote 1

Synergy had an awesome flowing template for Excel that a lot of people use. I don't really know where it is but I'm sure it's somewhere.

• Upvote 1

When I flowed on the computer I used Synergy. I worked well. I still wouldn't recommend flowing on a computer.