Fertilization: Yeah...good luck winning against advantage counter plans with "Our Only Advantage." Also, I feel like you shouldn't need 5 cards for inherency.

Additionally, phrases like this: "by the end of the present century" don't help your ability to win timeframe. Also, the card about it being the "only" existential threat has no warrants as to why other threats aren't valid. Also, if the cards say that the CO2 will eventually come out of the ocean and this is bad and Iron Fertilization only lets it absorb more, how is this more than a temporary fix?

On fishing, yeah, there's some major power tagging going on. "$199 billion" is not "key to the entire economy." Sure it'd suck to lose it, but in an economy with a GDP of upwards of 15 trillion, that's hardly the determining factor. Khalilzad is just being his usual self here and that should be really easy to win. 

It looks like John 13 can be turned against Keeney 6 with just a little bit of work: (K) "By enacting legislation to allow the development of an offshore aquaculture industry" (And J) "Offshore aquaculture can negatively impact the marine environment " so if you can prove that the regulations won't work or whatever then you can leverage these against each other. 

At any rate, I like the aquaculture better than the fert case. 

Fertilization: Yeah...good luck winning against advantage counter plans with "Our Only Advantage." Also, I feel like you shouldn't need 5 cards for inherency.

Additionally, phrases like this: "by the end of the present century" don't help your ability to win timeframe. Also, the card about it being the "only" existential threat has no warrants as to why other threats aren't valid. Also, if the cards say that the CO2 will eventually come out of the ocean and this is bad and Iron Fertilization only lets it absorb more, how is this more than a temporary fix?

On fishing, yeah, there's some major power tagging going on. "$199 billion" is not "key to the entire economy." Sure it'd suck to lose it, but in an economy with a GDP of upwards of 15 trillion, that's hardly the determining factor. Khalilzad is just being his usual self here and that should be really easy to win. [/size]

It looks like John 13 can be turned against Keeney 6 with just a little bit of work: (K) "[/size]By enacting legislation to allow the development of an offshore aquaculture industry" (And J) "[/size]Offshore aquaculture can negatively impact the marine environment " so if you can prove that the regulations won't work or whatever then you can leverage these against each other. 

At any rate, I like the aquaculture better than the fert case. 

Keep in mind that these 1ACs were made for a camp during the summer. A perfect invincible aff would be useless for a camper wanting to learn to defend affirmatives well. I'm fairly certain these Affs are supposed to have flaws.

• Upvote 4

I guess that may be the case, but something else to keep in mind is that for many, the baseline for cases gets set at camp, which could lead to some bad rounds in the 'real world' when people go to pull up camp cases and the affs are bad. Yes, people should write their own cases/fix camp cases of they want to run them, but thinking honestly that seems to happen far less than it should.

Plus, if people are going to be releasing cases I see no harm in picking them apart. I may have come off as negative, but I'm not really going to go through and bother pointing out what I do like for the most part so you just see one side.

I don't feel like the Ocean Fertilization aff does anything. It simply explores geoengineering techniques, but doesn't do any. There is also no card that says they result from the plan. I believe that with a risk of a DA and no solvency, that's an easy neg ballot.

The Aquaculture aff is a cool one to look into.

I don't see the point of the first 2-3 cards in inherency for the Iron Fertilization case, it basically just powertags the card that says it's irreversible and says "tipping point". I feel like that's asking for the neg to abuse that card.

While there are definite flaws, most camps, WSDI especially in my experience, come out with several rounds of updates for each aff, and these are just preliminary 1ACs that still have a month and a half for the lab leaders to beef up the 1AC ev. These are initial 1ACs, not the finished product, so don't freak out too much about them.

• Upvote 4

While there are definite flaws, most camps, WSDI especially in my experience, come out with several rounds of updates for each aff, and these are just preliminary 1ACs that still have a month and a half for the lab leaders to beef up the 1AC ev. These are initial 1ACs, not the finished product, so don't freak out too much about them.

Yeah. When people are giving out free evidence, it seems odd to complain :P 

"I want my money back! ....oh right. Thanks for doing this entirely for nothing."

Edited by Snarf
  • Upvote 5

These are just preliminary stuff to show potential campers ya'll/

• Upvote 1

The affs are fine for introductory skills teaching debaters how to manage an affirmative. The affs are just ways to divulge strategy lessons for the basics of structure in an aff.