FUDGE

Shoot, gonna be champ next year and I still don't know howto win as NEG

Sup Guys

So lately ive been stressing out for next year being varsity and all, and Ive realized that I still have no solid idea of how to run a succesful NEG strat. I generally only win NEG 3/5 times while I win aff 9/10. As the 1NC is there any solid advice you can give me? I generally lose on T, win on 1 DA out of 4 and win on my K that I just kinda cut on Free Will. I also never have any good Oncase files, but that is more of my partner's fault.

Edited by MrFudgeFox
  • Upvote 2

Sup Guys

So lately ive been stressing out for next year being varsity and all, and Ive realized that I still have no solid idea of how to run a succesful NEG strat. I generally only win NEG 3/5 times while I win aff 9/10. As the 1NC is there any solid advice you can give me? I generally lose on T, win on 1 DA out of 4 and win on my K that I just kinda cut on Free Will. I also never have any good Oncase files, but that is more of my partner's fault.

Cut more on case arguments.

It would help to know how you two split the block and what your partner generally goes for.

• Upvote 3

Is it a good idea to Hit some case (just the generic stuff like No solvency and link turns) and in the 1NCwith a smaller offcase load (like 2 DA's instead of 4)?

1NC should take all off and most of case. The neg block should be compromised of extrapolation of the 1NC's arguments. (2N can have new case arguments)

• Upvote 1

1NC should take all off and most of case. The neg block should be compromised of extrapolation of the 1NC's arguments. (2N can have new case arguments)

Thanks, Atharva, that sounds like where all the problems are coming from.

Edited by MrFudgeFox

Sup Guys

I would advise 1) working together with your partner on everything and not splitting the work up by speaker, so like you shouldn't be the only one working on off case while he just works on on case, work together on cutting stuff always. 2) Spend a lot more time cutting on case arguments - in my opinion, solvency take-outs are the best arguments in a lot of debates. 3) Use resources to get some on case arguments and compile front lines, etc..(http://openevidence.debatecoaches.org/bin/view/Main/) (http://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/bin/WebHome

As far as advice on the 1NC, I would say spend four minutes off case and four minutes on case. I'm not sure if it's how you meant it, but if you're going six off I don't think you're spending nearly enough time on case and probably spreading yourself out of the block and not allowing enough time to explode all the arguments in the block. We usually go three off (T-DA-K) and then case. Then, in the block, the 2NC usually takes two of the off and then most of case, the 1NR is usually 3:30 of the other off and then an extra minute and a half of case. 

Is it a good idea to Hit some case (just the generic stuff like No solvency and link turns) and in the 1NCwith a smaller offcase load (like 2 DA's instead of 4)?

Chances are if you're reading four disads, they're generic, so the best option would probably find the two disads that link the hardest to the case and then spend more time on case. Generally speaking, the 1NC should be the arguments, both off and on case, that you see yourself developing the most in the block and wanting to go for in the 2NR. 

Edited by CodyGustafson
  • Upvote 3

Sup Guys

1-off Wilderson. EVERY. SINGLE. ROUND.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

You probably should get good files for case, maybe a case neg if it's a local team. Also atleast read solid impact defense cause otherwise your pretty screwed. I recommend doing four off (k-da-t-k), with defense, seeing which two or three they have the weakest/ least answers to, then pursuing that argument in the block, with more case defense. Kick out of the one they answer best though

Please be sarcasm...

I'm not the kind of person that uses sarcasm.

Edited by dancon25
  • Downvote 2

I'm not the kind of person that uses sarcasm.

How did you brother get onto your account?

Edited by dancon25

Please be sarcasm...

I hope it's not sarcasm, i'm gonna cut this, if we ever hit them at a tournament their ass is going down

Edited by payton
  • Upvote 2

I hope it's not sarcasm, i'm gonna cut this, if we ever hit them at a tournament their ass is going down

Sorry, had to edit the offending material out. Good luck anyways though!

Sorry, had to edit the offending material out. Good luck anyways though!

HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH. It's cool. Thanks for watching out for racist/heteronormative language. 

• Upvote 1