capdebrollout

Exploration as Creating Panopticon

Can anyone point me in the direction of articles that discuss how current modes of ocean exploration by means such as GPS and google earth only serve to construct a panopticon upon the ocean and to reinforce state power? Basically just a foucauldian K of the way we relate to the Ocean.

A panopticon surveillance state over marine life? You'd be better off just twisting it as an Anthro or Security argument in my opinion. It could probably work really well with that Environmental Dualism argument that was all the rage last year.

A panopticon surveillance state over marine life? You'd be better off just twisting it as an Anthro or Security argument in my opinion. It could probably work really well with that Environmental Dualism argument that was all the rage last year.

If thats true, do you know of any articles specific to the securitization/militarization of the ocean?

Look up some of the backfiles from the Space topic, lots of good stuff on the panopticon and Weather/GPS satellites. Honestly this is a easy research thing, you can just type "panopticon, Foucault, GPS, Google Earth" into google and get results.

http://peregrinations.kenyon.edu/vol2_3/current/s.pdf

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lic3.12019/abstract

• Upvote 1

with ocean exploration, how does GPS come into play? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think a whole lot of effort is spent on mapping the ocean - it's already mostly done - and certainly less is spent on tracking stuff in the oceans (sonar, etc). 

i understand the links into google earth and gps, but i'm looking for a specific explanation of how ocean exploration is intended to further those (already developed) systems